Hazard lights constant on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumba

Reaction score
After a coffee stop I started a hot engine and the hazard lights came constant on (will not go off with engine switch turned on). No fault code - no reset of gauges - good battery . The scooter runs perfectly with the hazards on. I have 85k on this 09. I did the OEM spider recall. The original ignition switch is still installed. In 85k the bike has been in 35 miles of light rain (live in the desert). Any thoughts. This forum is indispensable.

I don't think anyone got to the switch ( could be ). I'll probably have to dig into the switch after consultation.

If it helps, I've had to use my hazards a few times in the last few weeks --- they didn't always turn off easily ! I had to hold the button in for a few seconds before any response ??

Do headlights, turn signals, horn and windshield work properly?
All of the above work perfectly.
How do the turn signals work perfectly if the emergency flashers are on?

There are only 3 ways the emergency flashers are on. One, the flasher button is stuck on. Two, the turn signal switch pod has developed an internal short connecting the Brown/White wire to both the Dark Red and Dark Green wires at the same time. Three, the D/R, B/W and D/G wires are shorted together someplace in the harness or at a connector such as the 13 position coupler for the handlebar switches or the 3 position coupler at the emergency flasher button.

The emergency flasher button works by shorting the B/W, D/R and D/G wires together. Pushing the button in is what shorts the wires together in the switch. What you want to do is to try to pry the switch up which will open the circuit. When the button is completely up none of the wires are connected.

The turn signal button works by shorting the B/W wire to the D/R to flash the left side bulbs --OR-- shorting the B/W wire to the D/G wire to flash the right side lamps. When the turn signal button is centered the B/W wire is not connected to anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
...What you want to do is to try to pry the switch UP which will open the circuit...
Correction - turn signals do not work perfectly. But I am getting good flash at all bulbs.
Try it. Your only other diagnostic recourse at this point is to unplug the emergency flasher switch. How good are you at pulling the plastic? (What year is your FJR?)

Thanks guys. Got it. Compressed air did it. You'll never have to buy your own beer in Deming.