Head light bulb replacement \ best brand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harpo

Reaction score
I have a burned out head light bulb on my 03. Whats the best way to get to the bulbs and what is a good brand of replace bulb.

I use Sylvania SilverStar Ultra (gold bulb tip) bulbs in all my vehicles.

SMELL:

Never-Ending, Pointless, or Recurring Thread

rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Before spending $50 - 60 on "better halogens", especially ones that could overload the wiring, it might be worth exploring the new LED H4 replacements.

Not sure if they are "there" yet, but they are getting very close.

Unreal.. This is exactly why I don't waste time posting links anymore.

I found 7 pages dedicated to this shit.

There is no such thing as a 'better' halogen bulb - watts are watts and, with the exception of true HIR technology you can't get more lumens for a given watt using halogen technology. 'White' or 'blue' 55/60 watt bulbs are dyed and actually put fewer lumens out the front. Higher powered bulbs run hotter AND stress the wiring. They are also no strictly speaking street legal. Neither are HID or LED conversions.

So buy two Osram or Philips H4s and install them (when one goes, the other usually isn't far behind)

For a very detailed report on how well high priced LED replacements (don't) work visit the FB group.

Use a quality H4 - that will retain the integrity of the reflector assembly, compliance-wise. If you need more light use auxiliary lighting - install something that doesn't blind oncoming traffic (think HID in a proper reflector).

Last edited by a moderator: