Head-Up Display for Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with all the techno whizzbang stuff now in our autos (that have been added distractions), I think this would be a distraction to riding. JMO

Thanks for the links.

As with any new "toy", the initial distraction of learning how to navigate through various features/menus could become less distracting as one grew used to using it. Once selected, information available on a display could be convenient - not having to move eyes and pull focus on items in the cockpit would be nice.

(When bicycling, I wear a small helmet mounted mirror. Handlebar mounted ones just don't work for me. Neither does chewing gum and walking, though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links.As with any new "toy", the initial distraction of learning how to navigate through various features/menus could become less distracting as one grew used to using it. Once selected, information available on a display could be convenient - not having to move eyes and pull focus on items in the cockpit would be nice.

(When bicycling, I wear a small helmet mounted mirror. Handlebar mounted ones just don't work for me. Neither does chewing gum and walking, though.)
You're welcome!

Agree with you!
smile.png

Looks very cool. Add to the list of got to have? NO! A fast movin chevy might give you a heads-up too.

Guard yourself, the distance isn't kind.

It looks like this one will have tach and speedo.

However, at 500+, a bit more than I want to spend. I still have an RDL to buy
rolleyes.gif

...However, at 500+, a bit more than I want to spend...
...Despite the price tag!
It is expensive, but it may be a good information consolidation center using things you already have. The heart of their system is a smart phone and their app. One device, one display that can give you a GPS, gear indicator, speed, tach, travel and performance telemetry, has a track mode, MP3 player, phone (after all that is the heart of the system) and photo/video. The unit has an ambient light sensor so the display will be day/night compensated. Surprisingly, it doesn't matter if there is a face shield or not. I dunno what helmet buffeting would do to the display (Dramamine please). If this unit can make a GPS unnecessary it would be this $500 unit vs a $600-$700 Zumo and loss of some features with just a GPS. That app will have to be gosh darn good.

I dunno what would happen if you accidentally dropped your helmet directly on the device. I dunno what would happen if you were to have a bird strike, every year I seem to bounce one or more birds off of me or my bike.

This unit is a long way from having enough capitalization to move ahead and they are not the only players trying to get into this business. It sounds interesting, you buy one and let me know how it turns out
smile.png

I like the concept - let them build them for a few years before I'd bite.

That stuff is gonna get better and better. Soon, it will be hard to find a helmet without it. Just like cell phones, computers and debit cards.
That's fine as long as like the other electronics you list it has an off button. I may (maybe) have to buy it but I damn sure don't have to turn it on, just like my cell and computer.

I use a HUD every time I fly the Gulfstream, it's an invaluable tool. Ours has an integrated FLIR camera to give us enhanced vision when the weather gets really crappy, let's us continue the approach down to 100'. Funny thing is, most of the time taxiing around on the ground I flip the darn thing up out of the way because it's distracting.

...However, at 500+, a bit more than I want to spend...
...Despite the price tag!
It is expensive, but it may be a good information consolidation center using things you already have.
I'm mostly thinking in terms of my farkle list. I've got several things I would rather spend my money on in the next few months than a HUD. Now, fast forward to next Winter after I've added my "essential farkles," and $500 might not seem like so much.