Heading back to Big Bend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfletch69

Reaction score
FJRBandit & I are heading west on Wednesday for a Big Bend NP run. I was out there in October with the wife and told him what he had missed. We will be in Austin Thursday night then riding through Hill Country and the Three Sisters and on to Alpine. Saturday we will ride the Natl'l Park and FM170 :yahoo: . So if you see a Silver '06 with a Black Grey '08....SAY HOWDY!

IMG_1084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love the desolate beauty of BB. I am around Thursday night, let me know if you guys want to meet for a taco. I might can give a few recommendations for the trip.

Regards,

Davy

Excellent! You guys have a blast. Post up some pics when you get back. I'm still at least 45 days away from getting the bike out!

Love it out there! Have fun here Thursday, SXSW kicks off the next day, so it'll be busy.

After dinner at the Starlite in Terlingua

2537969505_9e216b799a_z.jpg

Just west of Sanderson, heading to Marathon

2538787118_410e3343ee_z.jpg

Mules Ears in the background

2538788296_f86354fc84_z.jpg

East side of park

2538787568_7a3b915efd_z.jpg

Love it out there! Have fun here Thursday, SXSW kicks off the next day, so it'll be busy.

After dinner at the Starlite in Terlingua

Just west of Sanderson, heading to Marathon

Mules Ears in the background

East side of park
I've got a bunch of those same pics... including the basin, the canyon, and others, but the FJR in my pics is blue... :D

Bastards!!! :fuck:

That place has been on my short list for years and haven't been able to get out there yet.

Bastards!

gotta love those pictures but still they don't do justice to the magnificant desolation and ruggidness that is the Big Bend area. The area northeast and northwest of Ft. Davis is also very impressive for the rock formations.

And that is the exact reason I am headed out there the first weekend in April for the third time on the FJR.

SkooterG - you gotta get out there sometime. You will be sorry you waited so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the FJR broke down on me in Covington, LA after a particularly horrible rain shower, but I was able to limp it to the Baton Rouge Yamaha shop. They were unable to diagnose the exact problem so I considered my options.

Photo-0075.jpg

I ended up buying a used 2009 FZ6 from a local girl and continued on the trip. Luckily....it came with risers, Givi tour shield and a full First Gear luggage package.

Photo-0076.jpg

The little bike hung with the Bandit's FJR across the desert and back at some seriously high sustained speeds.

Photo-0078.jpg

Aw crap man. But a good way to recover!

What happened to the scoot? Electrical?

I've got a bunch of those same pics... including the basin, the canyon, and others, but the FJR in my pics is blue... :D
Holy crap, you drew Groo outta the woodwork - congrats!
..and I certainly hope the scooter in front of you isn't your new ride? :p :eek:

Photo-0075.jpg