Headlight Access

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnifex

Ka-Chow!
Reaction score
Hi All - new here, also fairly new to the FJR - had it since late winter, and I'm getting ready to do my first farkle - other than some cool scratches that I added one afternoon by accident.

I ordered these headlight modulators from Comagination after reading their review on WebBikeWorld. The kit hasn't arrived yet, but I'm expecting it sometime this week.

The install looks to be exceedingly simple - plug and plug to both headlight connectors, run the light sensor up and you're done.

So, before I start hauling plastic off the bike - what panels do I need to remove, or what's the best way to get access to the rear of the headlights?

Thanks in advance - reading about all the farkles makes me want to do more, but I'm not sure what to do next. I know that some sort of axillary brake is in the near future, either a Custom Dynamics LED bar, or a pair of hyperlights. (or both)

Actually, if you don't have overly large hands, you can reach the bulb plugs without removing a single piece of plastic. Just turn the handle bars from one side to the other to help facilitate access. Otherwise, just read up in the owners manual, it tells how to remove the panels. Good luck.

Mike

If the unit simply attaches to the back of the bulbs and is powered BY the bulb wiring, then no panel removal is required. As Speed already eluded, you have access just by moving the bars too and fro. Man, I never thought I'd be saying TOO AND FRO. :D

Thanks for the links - I'd seen FJRTech and the micapeak site before, and I've seen the instructions for removing the dash panels - I just wasn't sure if I had to or not.

I read through a lot of the FJR sites/tech sites before I decided on the bike. I waited about a year before actually buying it after deciding that was what I wanted for my next bike. I was torn between the ST1100, a Sprint ST, and the FJR, then finally decided on the FJR. In the last month or so before I bought I was really, really thinking I might want a Victory 8-Ball instead. (I came from cruiser bikes, and was a little intimidated by the FJ after a test-ride).

Glad I ended up with the FJR tho - I love it.

Wow, where did the topic go?

Thanks for the info SpeedJunkie - as it turns out I do have big hands, but maybe the wife can help me with it.

I'll post a report once they're installed.

You should still be able to get in there.

I'm very happy with my FJR, but I kinda like that 8Ball, too. Maybe time to get a second bike again!

So many toys, so little time.

Let us know how your modulator install goes. Post some pics if you can! I may do the headlight modulator thing, too. Man, it seems you can see those winking headlights for miles even in bright daylight. Bet you move some traffic out of your way, too. Probably get some "What the F***" looks! Kewel!

Hey, Carni, I liked your "research" so much, that I ordered a set of modulators for myself. How easy could it be? Plug in. Waterproof. Sweet. Looks much simpler than the diamond star. Just hope it handles the heat from my Silver Stars OK.

Maybe, just maybe it'll get some of those Left Laners out of the way.

Maybe, just maybe, it'll keep my ass out of the sling, too!

Wow, cheaper than the Kisan unit I was going to buy. I'd love to see a side/side comparison of the two.

Isn't anyone going to argue whether we need to use the unit with the built-in relay? :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like anyone is interested in this topic at all. Maybe we should throw out a new thread to get a comparison of the various modulators on the market?

As in start a new topic and get reviews from people on this forum who might actually already used the various different brands. The topic Headlight Access won't get play like perhaps Headlight Modulator Comparison/Questions whatever.

Thanks for the article links. I'll review them. Maybe get the modulator by the weekend and see how it works? I'll certainly post a review.

For anyone installing the modulators:

Please DO NOT leave them on for extended times. Use them much as you would a horn...to alert people you are there.

Modulators give the unwashed rednecks road rage.

The first day I had them on there were drivers coming towards me that would flash their lights & cross over the center line to get my attention. That happened twice.

There also was a car in front of me, I had been following at a decent distance, that obviously got fed up and slammed his brakes on for no other reason than to get me off his tail. He gave me the one finger salute before taking off full speed.

Using the modulators when approaching an intersection, or when seeing oncoming traffic ready to turn left, will make them jerk their heads towards you. After passing the situation, turn them back to dim (without the modulation).

The modulator is my favorite safety accessory. Use it wisely. <_<

dobias

That's a scarey thought. Time to go to the local news channels and give them a taste of MODULATOR SAFETY. Maybe yokels will start getting the word.

Thanks for the tip, Dobias!

I guess it depends on where you live. I used a modulator for many years around the San Francisco area without any road rage incidents.

I recommend leaving them on all the time because they will be noticed by folks about to turn into your path that you had no idea were coming (including out of driveways). If you don't leave 'em on then they won't do their job. They only time it makes sense to turn them off (low beam) is perhaps sitting at a light behind a car.

Hey Carni, did you order from the guys on your post? Get your goods yet? I placed my order, what, 3 days ago and haven't heard diddly. I've emailed them about the status of my order. Have no idea if it shipped or not, or even if they received and processed the order.

Doesn't the rapid flashing of your headlights shorten their life expectancy, or do these new bulbs work differently than the older bulbs? :blink: