Headlight Modulator suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modulators flash the wrong message to me. Likewise, I could not confidently ride a Yamaha (or any lesser motorcycle) if it has Twin Headlight design with one side Lo-Beam, the other Hi-Beam, one off, one on, with my concern being the appearance of having a broken/missing look, and would appear to be operated by a scofflaw in the eyes of LEO.

Fortunately my near-flawless FJR hides all my scofflawnesses.

Last edited:
You want them to see it when approaching you. When you approach someone from behind and get withing about 300 yards, remember to be courteous... until the pass.

Federal law 49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4 allows motorcycle headlight modulation systems in all 50 states. Federal law supersedes state law so they are legal in all 50 states. As a former motorcycle LE with 30 years experience, I don't own a motorcycle without a modulating headlight. The new units are easy to install and have a sensor that shuts it off at dusk. It can also be turned off by cycling your headlight switch whenever you want, such as when approaching a vehicle from the rear. I never investigated a single motorcycle accident with a motorcycle equipped with a modulating headlight. I had them installed on all of our city bikes. It's a personal choice. Good luck on your trip.

A note of reality for the original poster, StoNaiBeiCy:

One of the really neat things about a user forum like this is that we are all ready and willing to spend YOUR hard earned money on your bike. And since you are installing a FuzeBlock, you’ve made provisions for future expansion. Don’t think you are finished with those little Fenix Cree 900 LED lights; the farkle-ing has only just begun!

What the heck, it’s only money. 😁

I would suggest you still look into a headlight modulator from a reputable company like Kisan. Properly installed, and used, it will provide you with yet another tool for daytime conspicouosity (is that a word?), which always helps.

Personally I don’t have one installed on my bike, but I do have an amber, fork mounted set of LED lights, as well as a much larger pair of white LED driving lights mounted in front of the mirrors. This set up (Clearwater Lights, Glendas and Kristas) are tied into my headlight system to automatically shine at full intensity when the high beams are on, or low intensity when just the low beams are on. I rarely run with my high beams, but when needed to see down the road, they work very well.

The other thing I do when driving at night down a narrow 2 lane road with oncoming traffic, and/or driveways and side streets, is steer a bit of a weave on occasion to grab people’s attention. To see an inverted triangle of lights suddenly “tip” left-right-left-right definitely stands out as:

*** Here I am, I’m NOT a car! ***

This also helps when I see a long stream of car headlights following a slow truck coming my way. The narrow Siamese headlights do look like a car way down the road, instead of a motorcycle 50 feet away at highway speed. Don’t ask me how I know! 🤕

StoNaiBeiCy,
Welcome to the FJR Forum!
Feel free to ask how to do things, we have a lot of smart people here willing to help you get enjoyment out of your chosen ride.

Brodie
😊

My question is, does anyone know of a brake light modulator like Backoff, made specifically for our FJRs? Mine is a 2019 and I was unable to find a plug and play version. Years ago, you had to splice into the taillight wires for a unit that would convert your rear turn signals lights into full time running lights and would flash brake lights 3 times before going solid. I used them on previous ST1300 and ST1100 bikes but have not found one that does the same thing.

Hyperlights. Separate light so you aren't reducing your OEM lights as you modulate them.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/mods/hyper/hyper.html
I really like the Hyperlights I have on my FJR. I have the ones that give you red running lights, amber turn and flashing brake lights.

https://hyperlites.com/?product=3way-flashing-brakesrunningturn-signals
I didn't mention them because the request was for a plug-and-play solution and this requires tapping into existing wiring.

Where did you route the connecting wire through, from the Admore light bar? And I have yet to locate the correct wiring harness to plug into, in the tail!