headlights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
Couldn't find in bin o'facts, do you have to remove anything to change headlight bulbs? Couldn't find in the shop manual. If I just yank on the rubber boot, will the rest be self exolainitory? don't want to break anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, just take the rubber boot off. Its fairly simple to take a bulb out.... now getting the bulb back in there and the rubber boot off... thats a pain in the ass.

Couldn't find in bin o'facts, do you have to remove anything to change headlight bulbs? Couldn't find in the shop manual. If I just yank on the rubber boot, will the rest be self exolainitory? don't want to break anything.
Under the rubber boot you will find the bulb is held in place by a wire clip. The wire clip hinges on one end and is hooked under a tab on the other end.

You need to release the wire clip from under the tab by pushing down and anticlockwise at the same time. The wire will then swing past the bulb connector out of the way. Then you remove the bulb straight out the back.

Here is a good link with pictures.

bulb replacement

Here is a picture of a similar setup on a Honda.

bulb.jpg

And, oh yes, have your hands surgically replaced with those the size of a 6 year-old child. Mui, mui helpful! (@#$*&$ Yamaha designers anyway!) :glare:

Under the rubber boot you will find the bulb is held in place by a wire clip. The wire clip hinges on one end and is hooked under a tab on the other end.

You need to release the wire clip from under the tab by pushing down and anticlockwise at the same time. The wire will then swing past the bulb connector out of the way. Then you remove the bulb straight out the back.

bulb replacement

bulb.jpg

ANTICLOCKWISE?????? :blink:

bulb replacement

bulb.jpg

ANTICLOCKWISE?????? :blink:
Yes, it's the wife of Uncle Clockwise.

Or.

A clockwise motion is one that proceeds 'like the clock's hands': from the top to the right, then down and then to the left, and back to the top. In a mathematical sense, a circle defined parametrically in a positive Cartesian plane by the equations x = sin t and y = cos t is traced clockwise as t increases in value. Another way to describe this motion is, relative to above you, clockwise is the motion you make when you constantly turn right. The opposite sense of rotation is counterclockwise (now chiefly North American English), or anticlockwise (the current British English term).

A clockwise motion is one that proceeds 'like the clock's hands': from the top to the right, then down and then to the left, and back to the top. In a mathematical sense, a circle defined parametrically in a positive Cartesian plane by the equations x = sin t and y = cos t is traced clockwise as t increases in value. Another way to describe this motion is, relative to above you, clockwise is the motion you make when you constantly turn right. The opposite sense of rotation is counterclockwise (now chiefly North American English), or anticlockwise (the current British English term).
Beat me to it...

geting the rubber boots back on is a real pain in the arse.

have some beer chilling in the fridge for when you're done - you'll thank me later

The right one is the bear. I covered my painted surfaces with rags to cut down on the number of inadvertent scratches. (I'm glad I did.)

I had no trouble at all with the bulb I changed. Is this a GenI/GenII thing?

Never got my hands under a GenII's shirt.

I had no trouble at all with the bulb I changed. Is this a GenI/GenII thing?
Never got my hands under a GenII's shirt.
I changed both bulbs in less than 5 minutes. Mine is a 2005. I can do it blindfolded, since you can't see what your doing anyway.

Removing panels A, B, C and D make it a piece of cake.
This is a sentence form of an oxymoron (not calling you a moron, BkrK12--and what kind of a handle is that anyway!?).

It's a pain in the culo changing the bulbs, and it's a pain in the culo taking off those #$%@! panels!

Sorry for the inconvenience. I don't find either task to be a pain. Thanks, however, for acknowledging my existance.

I found it to be a relatively easy task on my 05. Wondering if the GenIIs are more trouble. I found that getting the hold down spring back in the right spot to be the toughest part. Its a good idea to use a mirror if necessary to note the orientation of the spring. The job is mostly by feel. The bulb has tabs to ensure that it goes back in the correct way. Watch it thru the front of the headlight to see that it is going in correctly.