Hearing Aids

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichDoyle

Reaction score
It's likely that I'll be getting fitted for hearing aids very soon. Yes, I have tinnitus and have trouble understanding conversation when there is background noise, but largely it's to eliminate that annoying, persistent voice I keep hearing from a certain person that I need hearing aids.

There are complications that suggest I might need to take them out for certain activities (flying, shooting, performing) but I wondered who has had experience wearing them while riding and what your experience has been.

I got hearing aids earlier this year for exactly the same reasons. I very definitely do not wear them when riding - in fact, I ALWAYS wear earplugs. Typically, I wear them at work and at home if there is more than one person around. They help enormously when there is background noise and when watching television it is much easier to hear what is being said. Sitting around or one-on-one conversation, I don't usually wear them. Certain noises drive me crazy with the hearing aids in - vacuum cleaners especially.

They are a definite improvement for me but I am a little disappointed that they don't work a little better. I may have to go back to my audiologist for some adjustments.

I have Tinnitus and hearing loss from unprotected exposure to Naval Gunfire.

I wear hearing aids, I do not wear them when riding.

I wear either ear plugs or custom fit ear buds when riding.

I've had hearing aids for about 10 years, ten years after a hearing test suggested by SWMBO.

Hearing aids have been quite beneficial to my sex life. JSNS

EDIT: I do find that the hearing aids don't help much in high background noise environments, and I have some damn fine instruments that have noise cancellation circuitry adjustable on the fly through my Android phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too was subjected to 27 years of converting your tax dollars into loud noises, smoke and occasional carnage. Spousal Unit and our daughter have claimed for years that I need hearing aids. When I retired I saw a Doctor of Audiology in lieu of the normal sit in a sound proof booth and push a button test. I was subjected to every imaginable test of my hearing. The result.... the doctor, a female Army Colonel, said I had an all too common hearing disorder called selective hearing. She said I should tell the women in my life that I can hear quite well, but that I choose not to listen. I declined to follow her advice. In the intervening years I am still occasionally badgered into taking a hearing test, so off to Costco I go. On each occasion I have been deemed as having quite good hearing (for a decrepit man) and not a candidate for hearing aids. I almost have the women in my life convinced that they have speech issues.

just had a hearing test a couple of weeks ago. A reasonable significant high frequency loss caused by playing and working without hearing protection. The audiologist and I decided it would be prudent to wait a couple of years and retest.

That said, Neihart went to the ear doctor and was prescribed hearing aids. When he went back for the 6 month check up, the Doctor asked him what his family thought of his new hearing. He said he never told the family, just listened in to the conversation without them knowing. But he has changed his will three times in the last 6 months.

The over-the-ear headsets I wear flying are designed as ANR (Active Noise Reduction). As I had various corrections to my behavior suggested today I wonder if hearing aids could be had with ASR (All Sound Removal)
rolleyes.gif

But I digress. I was hoping these things might somehow be of benefit while riding; diminishing wind/engine noise while allowing headset volume to be kept at a lower level to preserve helmet headset battery charge. So far I'm not hearing (so to speak) endorsements along these lines.
unsure.png
Oh, well.

I have them, don't wear them too often. I'd wear them more if they helped more, but the results have been fairly disappointing. Kind of wish I had the investment back, but they do help some. They're fine for dinner with a group, parties, going to the theater and so on. But since they just kind of balance on top of my ear with the earpiece inside and the unit behind, they can definitely be brushed off easily. Putting a helmet on or off is one good way to do that, so no, useless on the bike.

I've got one for each ear, I've been wearing them consistently for the last 12 to 15 years or so. I was prescribed my first one for just one ear when I was about 20 years old. I went years and years and years without wearing any because I was too young and did not "need" them! LOL....then my girls started saying things that were cute and funny and I realized I was missing out big time by not wearing them. Soooo I started wearing them all the time. I definitely do not wear them while riding though. I can't imagine doing that honestly; I would think it would be way to loud.

When first starting out with hearing aids only wear them for short intervals otherwise you will make yourself crazy. Like said certain sounds will send you through the roof.....vacuum cleaners already mentioned....for me it was potato chip bags! Shoo whee those are loud when you first start "hearing" again. Without a doubt you need to learn how to hear all over again when you first get them. So take is slow and easy and don't give up on them. Everyone in your life will thank you and you will be happy you stuck it out. That is probably the best advise I can give is slow and steady. Enjoy the new sounds!

I have them, don't wear them too often. I'd wear them more if they helped more, but the results have been fairly disappointing. Kind of wish I had the investment back, but they do help some. They're fine for dinner with a group, parties, going to the theater and so on. But since they just kind of balance on top of my ear with the earpiece inside and the unit behind, they can definitely be brushed off easily. Putting a helmet on or off is one good way to do that, so no, useless on the bike.
This is kind of what I thought, just wondered about the bike thing. Of course it makes perfect sense they'd at least have the same problem I've had with ear buds.

As for flying I prefer wearing a headset from Clarity Aloft, which is super-light, but it has in-ear speakers which preclude using hearing aids. I don't need hearing aids in that context, anyway, as I can understand everything coming in with perfect clarity.
punk.gif
Except for foreign students and guys with crappy radios built during the Nixon administration
weirdsmiley.gif

I bought mine ( KS7's ) from Costco...every bit as good as any unit from elsewhere at a 1/3 of the price. mine are "tweakable" with an app on my iphone. I use rechargeable batteries for most of the year, and disposable batteries when i am on vacation. I don't wear them while riding..It took me a couple of days to get used to the slightly different sound.

I've been wearing hearing aids 15 hours a day for the last 6 weeks. (aids behind the ears, speakers that they insist on calling receivers for some reason, in the ear, open domes) Amazing tech, well worth the PITA element if your hearing loss is bad enough.

It took about a month before I stopped noticing the "strange" sounds, which were mostly things I stopped hearing years ago. I've been leaving them on in the shop. Mostly don't use hearing protection for small power tools etc, but use muffs over the aids for the louder stuff. The aids do not amplify the shop racket.

I have Quiet Rider muffs in my helmet with speakers inside. Helmet goes on Ok over the aids and seems comfortable enough but I haven't tried riding with the aids yet. Based on my shop-noise experience there shouldn't be any issue, but not much point either. They might improve the music and phone quality, but I don't use either of those much. I did notice recently that a FOBO alert almost went unnoticed, might have been a volume setting issue. But the aids would have helped there.

BTW, that FOBO alert saved my bacon. Monitored the leak, aired up halfway between the alert and home. Half-inch brad straight in like it was put there with a nail gun.

Back to the aids - The key to satisfaction is customization, which usually means many visits to the clinic. I hate appointments, so I went the DIY route. Wireless aids that can be programmed with a Noahlink Wireless. Can make my own adjustments and tweak options to my heart's content. Also saved a bundle. Clinic wanted about $11k for both my wife and I. Instead I'm at <$3k for two sets of aids including the Noahlink Wireless and a TV connector. The hearing aid biz loves selling to grandma at crazy prices. Sample shtick: "What part of I love you don't you want to hear?" People paying thousands for bundled services they don't use. Google a little and you'll find that in blind testing most can't tell the difference between low and high-end aids, yet most buy high-end anyway. If you need full service, go to Costco. They do REM which the majority of storefront clinics do not. If you want to learn about DIY go here. https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/how-to-find-fitting-software-to-program-your-hearing-aids-diy/31753

I bought mine ( KS7's ) from Costco...every bit as good as any unit from elsewhere at a 1/3 of the price. mine are "tweakable" with an app on my iphone. I use rechargeable batteries for most of the year, and disposable batteries when i am on vacation. I don't wear them while riding..It took me a couple of days to get used to the slightly different sound.
I have the same ones. Good hearing aids! I didn't know you could get rechargeable batteries though.

As for riding with them as others have said, hearings aids are way too loud.

Trouble is, good hearings aids will never replace good ears.

Mine are the KS8 from Costco. Decent and controllable via my phone. Also Bluetooth so I can stream music to them if I want. Still wouldn't wear them riding. Don't want the extra volume and still need to suppress wind noise with earplugs.

Thanks for the informative discussion on hearing aids. My wife definitely needs them. The TV sound volume is driving me crazy. From what has been posted, it appears Costco may be the way to go. Thanks again.

When first starting out with hearing aids only wear them for short intervals otherwise you will make yourself crazy. Like said certain sounds will send you through the roof.....vacuum cleaners already mentioned....for me it was potato chip bags! Shoo whee those are loud when you first start "hearing" again. Without a doubt you need to learn how to hear all over again when you first get them. So take is slow and easy and don't give up on them. Everyone in your life will thank you and you will be happy you stuck it out. That is probably the best advise I can give is slow and steady. Enjoy the new sounds!
Great advice - especially this

don't give up on them

I got examined today and order the hearing aids. I've been deferring because of the cost vs. what my level of difficulty hearing has been. I ordered the super-duper ones that would run something over 5K a pair, with smartphone adjustment and rechargeable batteries and whatnot. Extravagant? Not so much, because my Medicare Advantage plan (which has a pretty modest premium) has a co-pay for this pair of $1,400. Add in the cost of the charger and they're about $1,550. Reduction in complaints from wifey - priceless.

Been wearing them for a couple years but not while riding.

Store them in the case. I put a pair in a shirt pocket and lost them on the 8 mile ride home. Even insured it cost $800 for replacements.