Heated Clothing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawinter

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
In an effort to extend my personal riding season here in Colorado I am going to purchase heated clothing. I have just installed the rear dual powerlet on the Fjr.

I want to ride at least down to freezing if the roads are clear and dry.

Yes gas prices are the greatest motivator.

My questions.

Should I go with a full suit and gloves like Gerbing offers or are the liners and chaps that widder has warm enough?

What is best for control a portable one in a tank bag or a permanate one like a

Heat-roller?

I am assuming the FJR electrical system can handle 170 or so watts yes? no?

do I need dual heat controls?

Any and all opinions and personal experience would be most helpful and very welcome.

The googleing is in full swing but nothing beats experience

Thanks

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Widder Vest, Love it. I guess it depends how long your on your bike, I know with mine or with any kinda gear, it's a pain to put it on and take it off allot.

If your using something you can take off, like the chaps, if your not that cold, you might like the versatility? you might think about it from that stand point, ease of use and the ability to take part of it off when you only need a little warmth?

Wear as much as you want, when you want, as you want, wear ya want, as long as you want, and however ya want :D :D :D

Just a thought.. B)

UnCaged

Gerbing was ranked highest by Motorcycle consumer news a couple of years ago. They do make a vest, or at least they used to, so you can get the vest and go with Gerbing. That is what I use. If I need electric chaps, it is too cold to ride. Well the cold isn't a problem in itself, just the snow and ice on the road.

Spike

170 or so watts yes? no?
Nope, somewhere between 105-120 is all you have to spare.

Widder uses the least energy of all MC heated clothing.

The system2 and arm chaps will keep you toasty, I will promise you that.

No dual controls needed with this setup. But having a dual controller is nice--independent control of heated grips AND clothing is nice, very nice!

I have the Gerbings full outer coat, gloves and outer pants with the dual controller. They are well insulated and provide alot of warmth without the heat being on. I use a dual controller and alternate the heat to the coat and pants as needed. Also using the dual controller you can turn the heat down conserving electrical usage. Very rare that you need full current to stay comfortable. I started out with a vest, traded up to the liners and then to the full outer wear. I definately like having my arms and hands warm. It gets expensive but it is worth it to keep riding alot longer in the winter. Coming home from Daytona in March it was in the low 30s in Tennessee and I made it fine.

I use a Gerbing heated jacket liner with a single portable temperature controller under my riding jacket. 77 watts, but I've never have to turn it up more than half way.

I LOVE my Gerbings jacket liner with heated coller.

I also use Gerbings heated gloves.

When I ordered my gloves (ten years ago) mr. Gerbing suggested I 'DOUBLE' wire the gloves.

Twice the heat! Keep this in mind if you carry a passenger with cold hands.

Use the V-Strom 05 hand guards, and your set.

I also installed the foot guards. Got them from FJRGoodies.com

Toasty! :clap:

Pussies! Real men don't need heated clothing. :bleh:

J/K - It's just so damn nice here all the time I just can't rationalize the purchase. Some of my buddies though, do plug in in the 'winter' here. I giggle a lot, 'Shit man! It's 65 degrees and you're plugging in?!'

I have Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. I use a dual control and like being able to have the gloves and jacket liner set for different temps. I just wired my FJR to use my heated stuff and I looked at the rear outlets, but could not figure out WHY someone would use this set up for heated clothes...... its a long way from the battery. then you plug in and have cables running from the outlets to your clothing. Seems easier and shorter to run from the battery to a controller in a tank bag and plug in your jacket. What am I not seeing here??

Rick M

Heated clothing? What the hell is that? Is there somewhere here in Florida I can check this urban myth?
:haha:
You need to get some and hook it up backwards and it will cool you off. Give it a try. :bleh:

Heated clothing?  What the hell is that?  Is there somewhere here in Florida I can check this urban myth?
:haha:
You need to get some and hook it up backwards and it will cool you off. Give it a try. :bleh:
That is an INCREDIBLE idea!

And it would make up for the Feejer's limp-wristed alternator...

Hook up the electric clothing in reverse phase, it cools you down instead of heating you up, AND puts 120 or so watts BACK into the charging system.

My God, Watson, you've solved the mystery! :dribble:

I had Gerbing when I had a Wing. I got Widder (vest, arm chaps). I found that the Gerbing stuff stayed in the closet and the Widder got used so after a couple of years I sold the Gerbing stuff.

I then added the gloves, and leg chaps. Sweet! Good customer focus. Sponsors motorcycle events (not just showing up to sell products) and a host of things (in addition to build quality) to recommend Widder.

Considering the weak alternator of the FJR, Widder be da bomb!

I don't think they salt the roads in your neck of the woods so you can probably ride pretty late into the season (watch out for black ice, though).

If you want a sweet setup that you can get comfortable in, check out the Aerostich Air Kanetsu vest with removable sleeves. There is an inflatable bladder built into the lining that lets you custom-tune the fit, and put the electrical circuits where they will do the most good. You can also deflate the vest partially for custom heat control(or use a reostat), as well as totally deflate it for an unclausterphobic walkabout (or a particularily heavy meal. :D

Remember electric clothing works best (most efficient), when the heating elements are almost skintight.

While the removable sleeves are not currently offered "wired up" they are made up of a pretty thick fleece material with it's own insulating properties.

Electric grips with VStrom guards and a decent pair of gloves will also work wonders. A decent pair of leathers and fleece liners also work well( as does a good Roadcrafter suit.

You can go totally electric if you like, but I prefer clothing with natural heat retaining properties in case a fuse blows.

:cold:

I have no trouble riding in Michigan's late fall weather, and I park it indoors when they start spreading the salt around.

I'm a Widder sleeveless vest fan as well. I wear it whenever I need a sweater and turn it on or off as required. No controller. Otherwise it stays in the top case 24/7. I may sew the sleeves from an old jacket liner to the electric vest just so it acts as a full sweater when not powered.

Now use a silk bellaclava to cut cold air from my helmet & neck. Cuts wind noise wonderfully as well. Never used the heated gloves but bought some light thinsulate under gloves which I put on when it starts getting cool. I recently survived some very cold & wet weather with light summer gloves, thinsulate undergloves and as required Aerostitch three digit over mitts. All are light and the combination of the 3 works well without any bulkiness.

Of course I have the VStrom hand guards, the Dualstar heated grips, the foot protectors and the big mother Rifle along with the FroggToggs....

Notice the duct tape combo sun shield/visor wind protector. Priceless.

This is nearly full combay weather attire! Missing are the rain booties. Of course being dressed like this has some disadvantages. When I drove into Yellowstone, the park ranger said that she had had reports about me over the radio and that I should slow down in the park. I wondered if it could have been another biker and mistaken identity?

38567090-L.jpg