Heated grips for 2006 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsLilly

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I haven't visited in a long time but realized I wanted to get heated grips, couldn't find them anywhere, and thought maybe someone here could offer some suggestions. I have an '06 and my husband and I are planning a trip in September. I never know what the weather will be like so decided...after all these years, I'm tired of cold hands! thanks

I hear KTM has a kit that is easily adapted.
Where did you hear that...
coolsmiley02.gif

I have these from KTMTwins on my Tenere, work great and are easy to install. Another frugal option are these from Oxford that also get good reviews.

--G

I hear KTM has a kit that is easily adapted.
Where did you hear that...
coolsmiley02.gif

I have these from KTMTwins on my Tenere, work great and are easy to install. Another frugal option are these from Oxford that also get good reviews.

--G

+1 I installed the Oxford Heaterz, about 2 months ago and they work great, cost about $100, as opposed to the OEM grips which cost much more.

The other way would be to find a 'used' heated grip unit from a 2006 thru 2009 FJR AE bike. Try eBay, or perhaps a motorcycle junkyard. Your bike is wired and ready to go for one of these.

Brodie

smile.png

https://oxford-products.com/us/products/Heaterz-Premium-Touring-%252d-Heated-Grips.html $89.95 I installed a pair of these last fall and wonder why I hadn't done this earlier. Easy install and easy to use; remove old grips, install new grips, connect to the battery, plug two connectors together and enjoy warm hands. Oxford how has a US distributor in Florida and when I asked a question I had an answer in less than an hour. Couldn't believe it.

The Yamaha OEM heated grips and heat controller are expensive if you buy them new, but the wiring harness is already in place for them in the FJR. Everything just plugs in and works. If you can find a set of grips and heat controller that are used and get them for a good price this is the way to go.

I have had heat tapes, Yamaha aftermarket grips (not like the OEM Gen II grips) and several other kits on my bike and have found the Oxford grips to be the best aftermarket kit. The grips get plenty hot for New England riding below 25º F and heat faster than any other grips or tapes I have used. The minor down sides to this kit are: the grips are hard (like all heated grips), the grips are a bit short so there is a gap between the grips and the switch pods and the LEDs on the heat controller are tiny and hard to see in daylight unless you are looking directly at them. If you can remove dash panels and do minor wiring the Oxfords are probably the way to go.

I doubt you will find the OEM parts cheaper than the Oxford Heaterz, but if you can it would be a decent option.

I have ridden about 30000 miles with the Oxford grips. One point worth mentioning is that I found the grips themselves to be very comfortable, whereas I am finding the OEM Yamaha grips too thin and too hard.

So if you are needing to change your grips anyway, BMW Sport Grips are about $25, Oxford Heaterz are around $80, and they are heated :)

They work well as grips, and better than anything else I've tried as heaters.

Oxford makes a grip that is called their Premium Adventure grips which I just installed a few weeks ago. They are the same length as the stock grips. $89.95 and they are awesome.

The only tricky part was getting them over the G2 tube on the throttle side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Graler,

Can you expand more on your install? I am interested in these Premium Adventure Grips and I have the G2 tube. Did you mount the controller in the panel where the stock unit goes? Any pictures would be appreciated.

Ed

Ed,

No I mounted the controller using the bracket that came with them and it is under my radar detector plate above the brake reservoir on the throttle side. I had already mounted a voltage meter on the square for the stock heat controller. The issue with the G2 tube is that it is knurled and a little larger than stock. It is a tight fit. I was going to go at it again I might consider removing the G2 - throwing it in the deep freeze overnight. I would then leave the grip lying out in the hot texas sun or even on a dash board for a bit. Mark the orientation your want on the tube and the grip and slam them together. My process used a hone for a inside diameter and we removed a little rubber from the inside of the grip. That coupled with some good old fashion elbow grease got it done. I think posted a picture in a thread titled farkles installed or productive weekend.

I had the OEM heated grips installed. They weren`t cheap but they work really well and I use them all the time. LD