Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Mc

Reaction score
I would like to install heated grips on my 2007A. The Yamaha brand is much more expensive than other options, however, I could be talked into them if the installation would be easier or quality is better. Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely go with the Yamaha grips. It's a plug and play install, and they are far more sophisticated than the after market grips in that they tie into the ECU whereby the shut off if battery voltage drops too low and they take into account vehicle speed. They reduce voltage while standing still and increase with bike speed. I've found that really helps from having to keep readjusting the heat setting as you ride. Just my 2 cents.

Check out the Honda ST1300 Heated Grips, about $175 and you need to pick up a decent automotive relay but the install isn't to bad.

The OE Yammy grips are nice and tidy, infinitely adjustable, and the electronics adjust the current draw according to engine RPM. Aftermarket kits (DualStar, Kimpo, etc.) are much cheaper and work OK - usually two heat settings - but the wiring on the handlebars is exposed so not as clean an installation.

The BMW grips mentioned are just the rubber grips, not heated, but lots of folks like them a lot for comfort. BTW, I had DualStars for 40,000 miles on my ST1300 and they worked fine.

pete

I have the Yamaha OEM on my 09. Had I known that heated grips would improve the quality of my riding this much I would have installed them years ago!

Just picked up the entire setup for my heated grips. Got the Symtec heaters, Pro-Grip brand grips, and a FirstGear (by Warm-n-safe) Heat Troller all for just over $100 bucks (I don't recall the exact amount as I won't pick them up and pay for them until Monday.)

Seems like the Yamaha setup would have to be REALLY nice to be worth 4 times that much. :eek:

What comes in the Yamaha kit? Does anyone have a picture of the kit before installation?
It comes with everything you need: Grips, new throttle cable housing that hides the grip wire, glue for installing the left-hand grip (the throttle grip comes pre-installed on a throttle tube).

Instructions are a bit lacking, so I documented some additional installation details here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113501

Has anybody tried the Aerostitch Wrap grips? They attach with velcro, which has surprisingly good reviews - and for $45 look like a good cold weather answer for a bike that we're not planning to keep. The one downside I see from the few reviews on Aerostitch's site is about reliability.

103_1a_1.jpg

More info here: https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/rider-comfort/heated-grips-accessories/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html