Heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with the factory grips, despite the cost, mostly because the wiring was already in place ('07 A-model) and there was a spot waiting for the controller. Installation was pretty easy, and the wiring in particular was a no-brainer. I installed aftermarket heated grips on my other bike, but feel like I made a good choice with the Yamaha OEM grips on the feejer.

I am just now starting the process of evaluating the new Chicane Grips from AME... I'll post up findings when I am done:

ThrottleInstalled.jpg

Got tired of waiting for Warchilds eval. Bought the Gen II OEM kit from Hutchins Motor Sports in California last month for $288.99 with free shipping. Thought I'd pass along what I thought to be the cheapest price I found, but when going to the website to copy the Link ( https://www.shophms.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ABA-2D237-40-00 ) I see they increased their price to 366.95 with free shipping. Sorry.

Anyway, the OEM kit is top quality, they are plug & play, & I installed them myself. For $288. I thought it was worth every penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am adding heated grips to my 2010. I was trying to get a controller from a 2012 (YAM # 2D2-85590-00-00). The one I bought on eBay has connectors which do not match my wiring harness. Would like to post the pics of the connectors but cannot figure out how to post pics on this forum. I select the Image Icon from the commands, but it asks me for a URL.

I hope someone can use the controller I have, and steer me to the one that will match my connectors.

Any help?

Thanks - Joe Longmont Colorado

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ABA-2D237-40-00-Grip-Warmer-FJR1300/dp/B005C5EAYU

Pic of the connectors on my controller. Does not match the 2010 harness. Anybody with experience with this?

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLY COW Super! 8 posts and 2 of them revive posts from 2011 and 2012. Now that's using the search function.

The Amazon link that you posted....is that the controller that you have or the controller that you want?

That pic from Amazon is, as far as I can tell, the only controller for the FJRs. I finally located the matching connectors on my wiring harness but they were tucked away real good. Installation was a snap. Grips are on and working. Found the controller and the cable guide (used) on eBay, and ordered new grips from partspak.com at a substantial discount. Now if I can repeat this successful installation with a new MC Cruise control! Thanks for your comment.

i'd love to install OEM but not sure if the investment is worth it...

maybe a set of take offs from ebay?

whats the general consensus on service life of these grips?

i'm on a Gen2 (2010) will the Gen 3 fit?

i'm on a Gen2 (2010) will the Gen 3 fit?
The grips themselves will probably fit, but the Gen 3 control is done very differently, so no controller for your Gen 2 and the wiring will be different.

I started out with an Oxford kit on my gen2. Then I picked up a used gen2 controller. Now I've got an OEM controller running aftermarket grips. Toasty palms for about $150 :)

Anybody have a pal with the Kawasaki Concours? I have just finished adding OEM heated grips to my 2010 FJR, and was lucky to find a used grip heater control switch on eBay. Then bought Yamaha grips (partspak.com). Works great. So here is the thing: my pal's 2018 Concours appears to have the identical heater control switch used on the (2012) FJR (2D2-85590-00-00). I looked it up on partzilla.com, and here it is: Kawasaki 21178-0002, $68.74 (as of today 01-20-2019). I do not know what the connectors might look like, perhaps that is proprietary to Yamaha/Kawasaki. Worth looking into. My real Yamaha part, used, cost $158.50.

Latest posts