Heated Grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freesundae

Reaction score
All,

I am installing the grip heaters from CST.(<-- which by the way went extremly smoothly) . The wiring diagram has the white labled low and then going to the high spade, and the blue wires marked high and then going to the low spade, or maybe I am over thinking this or maybe there is no corralation between the the spades and the output, anyway which goes where? Thanks.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
A crude but effective wiring diagram. It sounds like you have the Dual Star brand, which BTW are great! This is if you use a heat troller, which I highly recommend. Trust me, you do want one.

DualStarHeatTroller.gif

What is the hottest connection: White + Red OR White + Blue ;)
Per that drawing the hottest would be white to ground and red and blue together to the hot (live) wire. I don't know if the controller would handle it though.

What is the hottest connection: White + Red OR White + Blue  ;)
Per that drawing the hottest would be white to ground and red and blue together to the hot (live) wire. I don't know if the controller would handle it though.
A heat troller will handle it, but it's far too hot. You would only use maybe half of the range. I used the White wires and it's plenty warm at 40 F. Ironically the thicker the glove the better they work.

The Red and white combo is the warmest of the two.

I've got mine full hot. With Winter gloves and a little more than half heat on the troller, after a while, my gel grips start to get soft and pliable. My gloves actually leave an imprint in the grips. Now THAT is hot! They get too hot to hold with bare hands. Of course at 20 degrees F or so, the heat gets sucked off of those things so fast going 60 that even full heat doesn't seem enough. Especially if you have to take your hands off for a couple seconds.

A Heattroller temp controller can handle the load of the Dual STar elements wired for full HOT. But I agree with FJRocket. They can get very hot. Almost too hot. But where I am from (MPLS) it can get cold! So having the ability to roast your hand isn't a bad thing! I usually ride with the temp controller at about 25%. I like my heated grips!

Thanks for the help for some reason I wired my up using Red to ground and Blue to live wire and they don't get very warm at all.

So tomorrow I will re-wire:

White to ground

Red + Blue together to live wire

Sweet, That diagram rocks, things will be much easier now, Thanks Captian Obvious.

Tim