Heavy steering. Do yours all do it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris 10

Reaction score
My 05 seems extremely heavy to steer around corners and in the parking lot. It takes some real force to keep it turning even at speed. I just traded up from an FZ-1, you know 100 lbs lighter and all, the bike before that was an ST1100 but I don't remember them being this tough to keep in a corner. Metzler ME-Z4's front and rear. Anybody have an idea? Different tires lighten up the front end?

Try 39lbs in your front tire and 38 in the rear. How many miles are on the bike? If you have over 20 thousand on the bike, have you changed the steering head bearing? These are causes of heavy steering at low speeds. If you have heavy steering at higher speeds, are you using an oversize wind screen? If you are, be careful when the screen is in the full up position at speeds over 50 mph. The faster you go with a large screen full up the harder it is to steer the bike in the corners. I hope this helps

I've experimented with tire pressures on my '05 FJR, high and low.

None of that has ever caused any difficulty in turning. I don't think tire pressure is your problem. Nor, new or worn tires.

My best guess is that your head bearings are too tight.

IRBR

None of that has ever caused any difficulty in turning. I don't think tire pressure is your problem. Nor, new or worn tires.

IRBR

On my 07, I can tell a huge difference between 32-35 and 40 in the front...

IRBR

On my 07, I can tell a huge difference between 32-35 and 40 in the front...

I have Pilot Roads and have run the gamut on pressure and have been been most comfy at 38front 42 rear.I did have a problem with heavy steering which went away after having serviced the steering head bearings..I do run a Rifle windscreen and keep it low on windy days at low speed.I am lusting to try the new Pilot Road 2's

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it happen to me. The steering head was to loose and clicked all the time, tightened up and it steered normal again.

Same thing happened to me. Bike felt great when I got it but very slowly over time the steering felt heavier, almost to the point that I thought my first impression must have been incorrect. Had the steering head adjusted and it was like new again.

Heavy loads on the back seem to make 'em steer a little heavy, too. (You know, full Givi, fat passenger, etc).

(That's what I've heard)

My 05 seems extremely heavy to steer around corners and in the parking lot. It takes some real force to keep it turning even at speed. I just traded up from an FZ-1, you know 100 lbs lighter and all, the bike before that was an ST1100 but I don't remember them being this tough to keep in a corner. Metzler ME-Z4's front and rear. Anybody have an idea? Different tires lighten up the front end?
Boris, I jumped on my bike after being away for a week and thought also that it steered heavy at slow speeds. Checked my tire pressure and it was indeed down a little. I ran it back up to 40 and it seemed a lot better, I have the oem metzlers with just over 2000 miles. As a side note, IMHO the FJR has a bit of a quick turn in a slow speeds, but I remember some years ago with my fj1100, That bike felt like it almost wanted to fall into the corner at slow speeds, I think a lot of that had to do with the 16" tire that came on the front. Stan

More air pressure, it makes a difference on mine. 40/42.
Thanks for all your input. The bike has only 6k on the clock so the head bearings are fine, the bars turn smoothly when off the ground. Bought another decent tire gauge---- the tire was really at 28lbs!! It's at 38-40 now. What a difference. Thebike still wants to fall into turns but to a lot lesser degree. Boris.

Thanks for all your input. The bike has only 6k on the clock so the head bearings are fine, the bars turn smoothly when off the ground. Bought another decent tire gauge---- the tire was really at 28lbs!! It's at 38-40 now. What a difference. Thebike still wants to fall into turns but to a lot lesser degree. Boris.
I don't own an fjr but this same principle should apply. My Moto Guzzi Norge felt the same way, it would fall too quickly into a turn so I stiffened the preload of the front suspension a bit and it fixed it. You should make small changes at a time and then test it. A half turn makes a difference. I envy you guys with preload, compression, and rebound adjustable forks.

Thats why we all here... To help each others FJR experiences.......

And tease, rip, burn on each other too I suppose!!!!!!!

WW