Hella FF50 Installation - Question !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
All,

I'm trying to install a set of Hella FF50's on my 06A - and I've used the search function, and checked out FJRTech.com. Nothing on these lights, but lots on HID"s.

I hooked up everything last night - and proceeded to blow a fuse (10 amp, 'switching circuit').

The documentation that comes with these things is very minimal - essentially a diagram.

Everything looks fine - with the exception of the green lead that I thought (based upon my vast historical knowledge of nothing) was a switched power lead to activate the relay. However, that is not the case. And so we now understand why we have fuses.

Here's the diagram:

81782409-M.jpg

I'm installing the manual switch (Diagram II) - but my question is, what do I tap the green lead (identified as 56a) into ? In this diagram, it appears to be a lead on the headlight?

If I understand this correctly, this will allow me to manually switch on the lights only when the high beams are on? And if this is the case, can I wire them to activate with the switch, regardless of the headlights being on or not?

I know - lot's of questions, but I'm trying to get this taken care of before I leave on a business trip Monday. As soon as I return, it's saddle up, and head for WFO5 !

Thanks In Advance, Ya'all !!

p.s. - I'll take piccis of the install for posting. Once I figure out the wiring.

The green wire that goes to 56a on the relay on one end and your manual switch on the other , then on to the headlight high beam wire is what powers the switch and if it is on, lets the relay pull in to bring on your Hella lights.... but only IF you have your high beams on. IF you take the green lead to a voltage source that is hot whenever you have your key on, you will be able to turn on your new light when ever you choose,but you may be breaking some laws , so check with the laws in your state regarding driving lights. I see no problems with the wiring per the diagram you provided, so I have no idea why you blew a 10 amp fuse. What fuse was it? If it is a fuse you added for the power to feed your new lights, it may be that they draw more than 10 amps and you just need a larger fuse, that depends on what wattage the bulbs are in the new lamps. Hope this helps you out. ;)

The green wire that goes to 56a on the relay on one end and your manual switch on the other , then on to the headlight high beam wire is what powers the switch and if it is on, lets the relay pull in to bring on your Hella lights.... but only IF you have your high beams on. IF you take the green lead to a voltage source that is hot whenever you have your key on, you will be able to turn on your new light when ever you choose,but you may be breaking some laws , so check with the laws in your state regarding driving lights. I see no problems with the wiring per the diagram you provided, so I have no idea why you blew a 10 amp fuse. What fuse was it? If it is a fuse you added for the power to feed your new lights, it may be that they draw more than 10 amps and you just need a larger fuse, that depends on what wattage the bulbs are in the new lamps. Hope this helps you out. ;)

Ohio, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thank You.

And the fuse I blew was the 10 amp 'signalling circuit' fuse. I had tapped into the same line that I used to activate the relay on my switched bluesea powerblock. Obviously the wrong choice. When I turned it on, power was dumped INTO the signalling circuit, and the fuse did it's job.

The relay in the Hella kit is fused at 15 amps - essentially an inline configuration.

And thanks for the response. Now I can get this done.

10 amp fuse sounds small.

Watts/Volts=Amps.

so if they are 55watt x 2 = 110watts / 12volts = 9.166 amps.

I would use at least a 12 amp fuse.... probally a 15 amp.

*EDIT* I see you allready figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you planning to leave the switch on so they activate every time the high beams are switched on? Seems like it would be a pain/unsafe to turn two things off when oncoming traffic comes up suddenly.

I plan to use the auxiliary lights with low beams for the ease/safety factor. I'm sure they'll drown out the high beams anyway.

KD,

I'm glad you asked the question because I was just about to go out to the garage to start installing my FF-50's and I've been sitting here scratching my head over this diagram. Are you mounting them on Geraulds brackets off the mirrors and if so what panels did you remove to get at mirror bolts adaquately?

You should pull all the panels, in A-D order, A being the panel with the Flasher switch in it, to remove them correctly. This said, the mirror nuts are behind B and C.

edit-just noticed you are doing an 06, my 'structions are for an 05.

KD,

Not meaning to hijack your thread here but I thought it might make your life easier also if I asked a few questions of the group.

Can anyone tell me which color wire controls the high beams on the '06?

Are the blue wire splice connections supplied with the Hella's a bad idea to use or should I solder the connections?

Also, I want to disconnect the cables for the headlight adjustment on the C and D panels in order to get at the headlight wires but it specifically says not to in the owners manual. It seems that they are just screwed in to the back of the knob....is there some reason I can't disconnect?

Also, I want to disconnect the cables for the headlight adjustment on the C and D panels in order to get at the headlight wires but it specifically says not to in the owners manual. It seems that they are just screwed in to the back of the knob....is there some reason I can't disconnect?
Cuz the manual says not to. Kinda like a mattress tag.

KD,I'm glad you asked the question because I was just about to go out to the garage to start installing my FF-50's and I've been sitting here scratching my head over this diagram. Are you mounting them on Geraulds brackets off the mirrors and if so what panels did you remove to get at mirror bolts adaquately?
Axe,

They are on Gaurauld's brackets. I had Wonky stripped down in May, and I installed the brackets at that time - and also discovered that one of the two right mirror nuts had fallen off, and was sitting in the cowling. Did your set of brackets come with the rubber spacers? These are very important. I used silicone adhesive to 'paste' these in place while I installed them.

As Radman says, you remove all 4 panels - this will give you access to everything.

Based upon your question regarding the headlight adjusters, I'd say you haven't bought an owners manual yet. I guess they figure that if you don't have an owners manual, you don't get to remove the adjuster ferrules from the back of B and C. B)

I have removed mine several times now, and I haven't yet seen the matress tag/ferrule police arrive --

Although it's possible I'm not on their inspecition list because I bought the manual. :blink: Those of you without manuals may be at risk due to the data stream being transmitted by the 06 FJR to the Yamaha satellite security network. The Yamaha mothership will know if you do this. :huh:

Are you planning to leave the switch on so they activate every time the high beams are switched on? Seems like it would be a pain/unsafe to turn two things off when oncoming traffic comes up suddenly.
I plan to use the auxiliary lights with low beams for the ease/safety factor. I'm sure they'll drown out the high beams anyway.
Toe, I'm rigging them independent of the lights - I can turn then on or off regardless of high/low beam. They are switched powered, however. I'm thinking I'll change it later to work with the high beams - but I just don't have the time before next Friday, when I saddle up with TurboDave and Bluestreek for our Pacific Coast Romp prior to WFO5.

Darn job gets in the way sometimes. I gotta hit the lotto.

I am in the middle of putting the same lights on my 05 The high beam wire on the headlight is the yellow one

the relay has a 15 amp fuse so i"m running a 15 amp for the lights The driving lights will be switched on with a switch and will also go on and off as I switch between high and lowbeam. Power for the lights will come from a switched fuseblock with a 15 amp fuse.

KD,Not meaning to hijack your thread here but I thought it might make your life easier also if I asked a few questions of the group.

Can anyone tell me which color wire controls the high beams on the '06?

Are the blue wire splice connections supplied with the Hella's a bad idea to use or should I solder the connections?

Axe,

Bluestreek answered your question about which wire was the high beam (Thanks, Bluestreek!)

The blue wire tap is fine to use - wire taps are used frequently on other farkles - reference fjrtech.com.

And Rad and I already gave you some crap about the headlight adjusters in a previous posting. :p

By the way - Thanks for asking the questions.

Thanks to you guys I have everything wired. Violating the "mattress tag" law, I removed the headlight adjustment cables which allowed me to actually stick my hands in there to work. Since removing the cables, however, I have had a black Crown Victoria with darkened windows sitting in front of my house and am hearing the constant drone of a circling helicopter.....