Hello AllGen 1 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liuthyy

Reaction score

Hello all!

Stumbled across this site while looking at another. Hope to be able to learn more about my bike and ultimately contribute to the site.

Welcome!

I've got a 2005 ABS model. Mine is like most 2005 with ABS - the rear ABS doesn't work. They changed the ABS unit design for the 2006 so that the unit would more easily flush...

Welcome!

I've got a 2005 ABS model. Mine is like most 2005 with ABS - the rear ABS doesn't work. They changed the ABS unit design for the 2006 so that the unit would more easily flush...
Not sure how much change there was in the ABS from '05 to '07 (part numbers are similar with a different prefix - look pretty much the same on parts fiche). Major change for the 2008 model year. Note: wheels for '05 (ABS) -'07 are compatible but change for the '08 model year.

To the original poster - Welcome! Is your '05 the ABS version or otherwise. As Ludwig61 mentioned, failure of the rear ABS was fairly common for the '05 model year - brakes continue to work but ABS functionality may be lost. Worth taking the time to flush them regularly (annually is a good idea).

Not sure how much change there was in the ABS from '05 to '07 (part numbers are similar with a different prefix - look pretty much the same on parts fiche).
In general, the prefix difference means there was a significant change. The 3 digit prefix identifies the model code of the bike the part was first designed for. This can vary not only from year to year, but also from market to market. EG: an otherwise identical model with a metric speedometer can have a different model code than the version with miles. But the part numbers for, say, the brake pads will start with the same prefix.

For trivia fans:
The second group of five digits is the actual parts group identification number. A «W» substituted in the first position of this five-digit group (000-W0000-00-00) indicates a factory assembled kit which differs in content from the original assembly used in production (eg: 000-W0046-00-00 – Rear Break Pad Ass’y).

The first three digits of this five-digit group (000-XXX00-00-00) indicates the general sections and areas of the models. The fourth and fifth digits of this group (000-000XX-00-00) indicates the specific part within these general sections and areas.

The ninth and tenth digits of the part number indicates differences, corrections or modifications to the original part number. The ninth digit position (000-00000-X0-00) may be substituted with a letter. This position indicates variations that may exist within a specific item. The tenth digit of the part number (000-00000-0X-00) indicates the number of times the design of the part has been changed.

The last two digits of the part number will indicate the finish or color of the item if applicable. Note that this is not universally followed -- I have seen the prefix changed instead of the suffix where a different model year came in a different colour.

So the piston for a 2020 FJR could have the nearly identical part number as the piston for a 1980 YZ125, differing only by prefix.

The exception to the above are part numbers starting with a 9, formatted in two groups of 5 followed by a group of two 0s. These are universally available parts such as bolts or bearings. Within that group, the second and third positions indicate the type or kind, the 4th and 5th positions the material or finish, 6 through 10 indicate the shape or size and the final two are just placeholders.

(But again, Yamaha doesn't always follow it's own rules and I have seen deviations.)

In general, the prefix difference means there was a significant change. The 3 digit prefix identifies the model code of the bike the part was first designed for. This can vary not only from year to year, but also from market to market. EG: an otherwise identical model with a metric speedometer can have a different model code than the version with miles. But the part numbers for, say, the brake pads will start with the same prefix.
I was looking at the Hydraulic Unit on Partzilla (Item #1 on the following fiche)
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2005/fjr1300abs-fjr13atc/electrical-3
'05(ABS) part is 5VS-85930-09-00
The '06 and '07 part is 3P6-85930-09-00 (Looks the same as the '05 on the fiche) (5VS vs 3P6 prefix)
In '08 to '12, the part is 3P6-85930-19-00 and looks quite different.
There was a definite major change in '08 and that is reflected in the 19 vs 09 in the third set of digits.
In '13 (1st year for Gen III), the number is 1MC-85930-09-00 and the part looks the same as later Gen II ('08-'12)
That part number remains the same up until at least 2021.
I don't know whether the part prefix change from '05(ABS) to '06/'07 was a different design or model designation.
('06 is the first model year of what we generally consider Gen II - there are significant differences from Gen I)
Don't know about differences (if any) between the '12 and '13. 3P6 became 1MC and the 19 went back to 09.

I know we are a bit off-topic but the OP did express a desire to learn something more about his bike. The on-line parts fiche is pretty useful to get some idea which parts are be interchangeable between years. (Also gives you an idea of real world prices that will almost always be lower than the dealer.) In this instance, it shows a definite physical difference between the '07 and '08 hydraulic units. It is less clear whether the differences between '05(ABS) and '06/'07 or between '12 and '13 are real or just a numbering artifact due to major bike "Generation" change. In some instances, the part may be physically identical but with a small difference (i.e. connector or bracket) that requires a unique part designation. In other cases, a part number change may reflect a different supplier even though the part is functionally the same so don't assume that because a number is different, it can't be used - worth checking.

Note: From 2013 up, changes in the FJR were more evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I usually refer to them as Gen III+. There are some major changes between 2013 and 2022, but more gradual. Electronic suspension became available in '14 and LED lights in '16 are the biggest changes...
Have a look at the Model Comparison Matrix to look at change details between years. (Click on icon to get PDF file)
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjr-model-comparison-matrix.178871/

I know we are a bit off-topic but the OP did express a desire to learn something more about his bike. The on-line parts fiche is pretty useful to get some idea which parts are be interchangeable between years. (Also gives you an idea of real world prices that will almost always be lower than the dealer.) In this instance, it shows a definite physical difference between the '07 and '08 hydraulic units. It is less clear whether the differences between '05(ABS) and '06/'07 or between '12 and '13 are real or just a numbering artifact due to major bike "Generation" change. In some instances, the part may be physically identical but with a small difference (i.e. connector or bracket) that requires a unique part designation. In other cases, a part number change may reflect a different supplier even though the part is functionally the same so don't assume that because a number is different, it can't be used - worth checking.
All of the discussions I've seen have said the 2006+ is a different unit and implied they cannot be substituted. Neither am I aware of any pattern of failure of 2006-2007 ABS units rear brake functionality as with the 2005. That alone suggests a significant difference.

I would also want to review the electrical connectors, brake line connections, and mount points before considering that swap. Lastly, I'd want to sample the communication channels while riding and needing the ABS on a functioning 2005 and a functioning 2006 to make sure the communication to the unit follows the same patterns.

That said, the easiest workaround if OP has an ABS model with nonfunctioning rear ABS (easy to test) is to avoid using the rear brake or use it lightly. You get over 80% of your stopping power from the front wheel, so you're not giving up much compared to slacking off on the front brake.

All of the discussions I've seen have said the 2006+ is a different unit and implied they cannot be substituted.
As I said, the numbers are different but that does not necessarily mean the parts are different. Anecdotally, it seems that the '06 and '07 hydraulic units are more reliable but I haven't done a survey and haven't done (or heard of anyone doing) a side-by-side comparison. Without evidence of compatibility, I wouldn't attempt to swap in an '06 unit to an'05. Certainly, I had no issues with my '07 rear ABS in the 9 years and 185,000 miles I owned it.

I agree with you - if I had an '05 ABS that didn't work for the rear wheel, I would not worry about it (brake with care). If I had a functioning ABS on an '05, I would do what I could to keep it that way. Flush fluid annually and make sure the ABS function is "exercised" from time-to-time either on the road or via the jumper/diag function. If the front ABS quit, I would replace the unit.