Hello from Colorado

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORider

Reaction score
I've been a loyal Honda rider since I was like 10, and have been riding an ST1300 for several years now, but I think it's time to finally look for a replacement. I've always had my eye on the FJR. The dealer has a new, much too expensive one, which I throw a leg over every time I head to the parts counter.

Hope to find a gently used one this spring, but in the meantime thought I'd introduce myself and start asking questions.
Greetings to all.

I think the ST1300 is under appreciated and it's too bad Honda left the traditional Sport Touring market. When I bought my 2013 FJR there was a brand new ST1300 that the dealer wanted only $10K for and I admit I was tempted.

I was worried about losing fairing coverage compared to my 1000cc Concours, but adjusting to that was easier than I thought it would be. You will experience a similar loss compared to the ST. I found that the extra airflow hitting me during the summer was really nice. It's not so nice during steady/heavy rain or really cold temperatures but you'll figure out how to deal with that.

Yeah, the ST was really popular there for awhile, but even at the end of its run, it was still basically a 2003 bike.

I've been a loyal Honda rider since I was like 10, and have been riding an ST1300 for several years now, but I think it's time to finally look for a replacement. I've always had my eye on the FJR. The dealer has a new, much too expensive one, which I throw a leg over every time I head to the parts counter.

Hope to find a gently used one this spring, but in the meantime thought I'd introduce myself and start asking questions.
Greetings to all.
Ah yes, the venerable ST. Have had 4 of them over the years, first an ST1100 without ABS and then relaced that for one with ABS. Later did the same mistake in buying an early ST1300 w/o ABS. Later changed that as well. Loved those bikes. I actually organized a fall long distance ride for ST owners for 22 years around Texas and Arkansas called TexSTOC. STOC is the ST Owners Club, unofficial but worldwide.

We were not strict about who could attend, just so long as you liked to ride long distances and loved good roads. Over the years, fewer and fewer STs were showing up. More BMWs, Concours', and of course FJRs. Even some Harleys and Ducatis on occasion. Once we dipped below 50% of STs, I decided to go test ride an FJR and loved it.

I do agree there is better coverage on the ST, including the geometry of their windshield. For some odd reason, I found myself needed two different windscreens with the FJR (sport for the summer and touring for the winter). On the Honda, my experience was, one stock windshield seemed to work fine in either season.

Honda made a rock-solid touring bike that just never kept up with the competitors in upgraded technology. For whatever reason, their marketing folks must have decided the big bike touring class was more important. Considering how many add-ons and after market accessories are available for the Gold Wing, sort of like the Harley world, they made their choice long ago.

The FJR rides just as well and accelerates a little better than I remember my ST. It is pretty comfortable though I think I would have preferred a single seat rather than the two piece, but otherwise quite pleased in my replacement (2017).

Keith Quigley
Bedford, TX

Attachments

• Bike2015.jpg
    Bike2015.jpg
    958.6 KB · Views: 0
You’ll find my two cents is literally only worth about two cents due to my inexperience with other make/model bikes.
I stumbled across a used (2007) FJR quite by accident after deciding I needed more storage and wouldn’t mind a little more power than my VStar 250 mustered.
Once I got over the initial intimidation of the thing, I can assure you I acclimated quite easily and absolutely loved riding that bike.
I’ve since upgraded to a 2014 for the CC, heated grips and, of course, the color. Those things have allowed me to appreciate the FJR all the more.
With all the available accessories, I can’t think of any reason why an FJR couldn’t be outfitted to suit just about anyone. 👍🏼