Hello from Minnesota

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't own a FJR - yet! I'm looking for an end of season deal on probably a newer Gen II. I'm a snowbird and spend my winters in Tucson, AZ. I currently own a 2018 BMW R1200GS that I tow back and forth, fall and spring. Really getting tired of doing that. I'm searching for an FJR to keep in MN as I'll be towing my GS down to Tucson one last time. I can store the FJR in an underground heated garage all winter. That's the plan anyway. Looking forward to getting back into Sport-Touring as I traded my BMW K1200GT on the GS. I don't regret the GS, but I miss the GT!

Hello, fellow Minnesotan. I rode my buddy's GT a few years back. A very nice bike, and it does a couple things better than the FJR, but the FJR does many things better than the GT. Especially if you like to go to the whip in the twisty stuff.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your search.

Welcome to the forum. I ride a 2005 FJR and every year I go to the International BMW rally. This coming year it is being held in Richmond Virginia. The BMW rally is a good rally for those of us who like sport touring and the FJR is very well accepted at the BMW rally. You won't regret the FJR!

Welcome to the forum. I ride a 2005 FJR and every year I go to the International BMW rally. This coming year it is being held in Richmond Virginia. The BMW rally is a good rally for those of us who like sport touring and the FJR is very well accepted at the BMW rally. You won't regret the FJR!

I have two other FJR buddies and all three of us are former BMW riders/owners. We usually attend the BMW MOA National (we went last year to Springfield, MO and there were about 5000 riders in attendance), however, our favorite is the BMW RA National Rallies as they average around 1000 or so attendees. I only wish we could arrange a Central Owners Meeting sometime.

And don't forget about the BMW Hiawatha Rally that usually has demo bikes to ride (thanks Leo's South!!) that is usually held in early June in Money Creek, MN.

Anyway, welcome and good luck finding a FJR to ride!

Nats

Thank you everyone for your gracious welcome messages! Yesterday I went down to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and picked up my new (to me) 2010 FJR1300A! 25k miles. Completely stock, and in almost perfect condition. It's a peach! Totally excited to ride it for a few miles before it goes into storage.

I also ride a 2018 BMW R1200GS that I bought new and now have about 45k miles on it. I started out being a BMW owner with the purchase of a new 2008 K1200GT. Really miss that bike, but love the GS as well. I'll be trailering the GS down to our place in Tucson and will leave it there for the foreseeable future. I have been to all the BMW national rallies since Billings, MT (except Hamburg, NY). Never been to an BMW Riders Assn. rally, although I am a member in good standing. Next year, I'll be riding my FJR to the BMW rally in Richmond, VA. I enjoy the rally, but I like the riding to and from more.

Okay, now that I am a proud owner and rider, what are the next steps to do for the health and longevity of my bike? I think a valve clearance check is due pretty soon, what else? The PO said that he runs Mobile 1 in it. I think that's a no-no. Might make the clutch slip? I'll be changing oil and filter before storing it, what does the collective wisdom of the forum recommend for oil?

Here's a photo of my new ride.
IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_0105.jpeg
IMG_0104.jpeg

Looks like a Gem !!! Congrats on the prettiest color from 2003 and 2010!

Mobil 1 is among the best synthetics (10/40+ = no worries) ) so I'd stick with it.

Valve check, plugs and air filter all are due around 25k. Flush the brake and clutch w/ dot4. Ride it before you change anything.

Last edited:
Yup, what Roger said. I have used Mobil1 for 84,000 miles (15-50) and have had zero issues. If it were mine, frame sliders are cheap (relatively speaking) and add a little bit of protection for the big fairing pieces. Beyond that, farkle-wise, add or change whatever you like...it's a clean palette. Enjoy, and congratulations!

(It's going to be in the 60s tomorrow (Friday) here. Not many more days left. I am heading out for the alphabet roads with some old insane people)

Mobil 1 - for motorcycles is a wonderful oil…not to be confused with the Mobil 1 for cars. I’m currently running Lucas Oil 10w-40 for motorcycles, so any oil spec’d for motorcycles will work just fine.

Welcome from a St Anthony Village MN rider. I think you'll find the FJR to be pretty bomb proof. Follow Rodger's advice, but even if you wait a while, the FJR will run perfectly. It's a great machine designed to produce numerous smiles over the miles. Enjoy it and ride as often as you can.

Unfortunately, I don't own a FJR - yet! I'm looking for an end of season deal on probably a newer Gen II. I'm a snowbird and spend my winters in Tucson, AZ. I currently own a 2018 BMW R1200GS that I tow back and forth, fall and spring. Really getting tired of doing that. I'm searching for an FJR to keep in MN as I'll be towing my GS down to Tucson one last time. I can store the FJR in an underground heated garage all winter. That's the plan anyway. Looking forward to getting back into Sport-Touring as I traded my BMW K1200GT on the GS. I don't regret the GS, but I miss the GT!
Welcome from Montrose, Minnesota lots of good people and advice here...