Hello from Surrey!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john-paul mealing

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Had my 2003 for a while now, bought as a project that I am getting to this spring. She's all up and running but has a gearbox issue. I will share some pics and probably ask quite a few questions as I get into it.
Ride safe, Jp

Welcome ftom New Brunswick.

What's up with the gearbox? Popping out of 2nd? A few people have had issues with bent/worn shift forks... Other than a few instances of that, they have been pretty reliable.

Edit: Which Surrey? UK or British Columbia, Canada?

Last edited:
Hey guys, it's Surrey UK. It's actually 3rd that's the problem, it's like it's not there, just alot of nasty grinding noises. Can push through to 4th though. A couple of people I've spoken to said this is very unusual, any heard of a similar problem?

Most likely the previous owner blew out third gear and decided they didn't want to deal with it. Now's the time to crack 'er open and let the healing begin.

Hey guys, it's Surrey UK. It's actually 3rd that's the problem, it's like it's not there, just alot of nasty grinding noises. Can push through to 4th though. A couple of people I've spoken to said this is very unusual, any heard of a simila

I would bet its the selector drum. But it's probably an engine out, split the cases job.

I would be very tempted NOT to run it until this is sorted out...those "graunching noises" aren't making themselves....is there any evidence of metal in the oil? Try removing the oil filter and cutting it open to see

(obviously you will need a new one but as you won't be riding the bike until this is sorted out....)