Helmet life

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n1acguy

Reaction score
Anyone selling helmets tells us not to use them after they are x years old (I forget what the time limit is supposed to be), but I have never heard this from any source that wasn't trying to sell me a helmet. I checked on the Snell and DOT sites, but didn't find anything on aging.

I very rarely have passengers and have a couple older, hardly used helmets. So, if a helmet isn't dropped, and isn't stored in UV light, how old is too old?

I found my old Shoei RF-100 the other day, Snell M85 rating, and tried it on. The foam in the top gave me black dandruff, so I probably wouldn't wear it any more. That and the fact that I replaced it because the visor fitting broke, and I can't fasten a visor on it. Primitive thing needed a tool (edge of coin) to unscrew the fittings, anyway.

It isn't just the shell, it's the soft stuff inside. the foam breaks up, the cloth rots, etc.

The number I kept hearing was five years, but that sounds short to me for a helmet that doesn't get a lot of use. That's how often Snell sets standards to rate by, though.

Daily rider probably gets worn out before it's five years old, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone selling helmets tells us not to use them after they are x years old (I forget what the time limit is supposed to be), but I have never heard this from any source that wasn't trying to sell me a helmet. I checked on the Snell and DOT sites, but didn't find anything on aging.I very rarely have passengers and have a couple older, hardly used helmets. So, if a helmet isn't dropped, and isn't stored in UV light, how old is too old?
I guess it depends how old an "older" helmet is...

The date of manufacture has been marked on helmets since the mid-80's (1984, I think). If your helmet has no date, then I'd definitely toss it.

The MSF folks say replace every 2-5 years IIRC, and that seems to be based on guidance from the manufacturers AND Snell.

Here's a quote from the Snell website:

"Why should you replace your helmet every five years?

The five year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both the helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production over can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy."

A polycarbonate-shelled helmet that hasn't been used much and is not exposed to UV, chemicals or anything else noxious should be good for 5 yrs. Essentially, what I gather from the Snell statement is that they aren't saying that the things are useless after 5 years, just that it makes good safety sense to change them that often.

The problem is that there are so many variables in play and no way to know from a visual inspection if the helmet safety is compromised. I'd err on the side of being very conservative and tossing an old(er) helmet - the passenger's safety is MY responsibility.

Dunno if this helps or not...

Somewhere on Arai's website it says 5 year of use or 7 years since it was made.

My guess is you can push that a bit, I'm wearing my RX7RR4 and it is 7 years old and in very good condition.

I will probably toss it in another year or 2, I won't push the listed life expectancy beyond a reasonable point, but the manufacturer is going to list a conservative value, not just to sell more helmets but to avoid law suits.

I wore the same Simpson helmet for more than 20 years. I had to repair the soft parts inside a couple of times. I might still be using it if I could get replacement shields for it. It was never crash tested by me so I can't vouch for that.

OTOH, my new HJC Symax 2 is much more comfortable and convenient to use. The shield slips off without tools for cleaning and there is room for speakers in the ear space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides guaranteeing new sales of helmets I see no reason to get a new shell..insides yes. So you ride every day..life is lets say 3 years ride only on weekends and helmet isn't exposed to UV rays ...sounds like cover thy ...symilar to racing seatbelts...O god what about my car belts!!!

Well, now that I know they have dates on them, it seems the like new RF200 was made 8/27/93. Damn, time flies! Neither the liner or foam seem to be deteriorated though. It's in way better shape than the RF800 I retired a year ago.

It's been years since my wife unit went for a ride with me, so I'm not leaning toward buying another passenger helmet to collect dust. Riding seems to be a time to get together with the guys these days.

A 5-year life of a helmet is based on the industrial standard for helmets, so 8 hours wear a day, 5 days a week and storage in sunlight. In this case a helmet should be replaced in industrial environment every 5 years. This varies by the materials used. Thermoplasts (not much used in motorbike helmets) wear faster, fiberglass lasts longer.

Having invested this I got an answer from BMW. They advise also on 5 years of use if used daily. If you use it only on weekends or for an hour a day this should not apply. BMW did not say "Go for it for 10 years of weekend warrior", instead they hinted in case the inner foam deteriorates it's time to let the helmet go. You CAN replace the soft foam but the extruded polystyrene under it degrades too and it's not easily checked. Have a piece of this white hard isolating foam lying around in the yard? Check it after some months. It may look only a but dirty from outside but will break easily. This is due to UV rays and oxygen taking their toll.

However a helmet stored inside, out of the sun and used only rarely will last way over ten years. I replace my helmets as soon as the liners make for dandruff, a sign of deterioration.

I have found that the storage location is the biggest factor in helmet life, short of a sudden impact. Years ago I left my helmets in the garage with the bike and the summertime heat caused the lining and foam to dry out and get brittle. By keeping the lining clean and storing the helmet indoors where it is cooler, I've had helmets last up to 10 years. At that time, the lining and strap are showing signs of wear and that has been my clue to spring for a new skid lid.

OBD

I know a guy who rides his Harley with the same old stars and stripes helmet he had back in the 70's.

He's nowhere near the top on my list of smart people though.😀

Signs it is time to get a new helmet (for me):

- It has 'hit the pavement' with some force

- Worn or frayed safety straps

- It no longer fits properly (padding/liner wear or breakdown,  me gaining or losing weight)

- Can no longer buy replacement face shields

This usually happens in 3 - 5 years in my case.