Helmet-to-Helmet intercoms - what are you using?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starcom1 Advance. Use w/ Zumo 550, RD input and FRS/GMRS B2B.

I actually have two of them setup, one in the Bagster tank bag on the FJR and another in a magnetic tank bag I use for the other two bikes. Allows my wife and I to be entertained, figure out where we are going and communicate with each other and also with our son and his GF on another bike.

As others have said, it isn't perfect, but works very well. Once you get used to plugging the helmets in during mounting and dismounting it's really not a big deal. Yeah, I wish it could be wireless, but not willing to live with the compromises with what is out there so far.

Scala Rider teamset. Good intercom, great battery life, good Bluetooth phone interface for the driver. The passenger doesn't get her own phone interface, but can be patched in to a call the driver has. Passenger is not part of the phone call, nor does she have intercom while driver is on the phone, unless driver patches her in with a button push on the headset.

Mine picks up static when the engine's running, so she shuts it off unless she needs to beg for a break.

I've played music through it from my phone, which is Windows Mobile, using the Windows Media player, but it's not high fidelity, nor is it stereo. I wanted to try it, because I've never ridden with music, and didn't really care for it, either. Found it distracting, not relaxing. The Scala Rider headsets are intended for voice, so their frequency response is very poor compared to real music headsets.

Scala Rider Teamset. Very economical, easy to install and works very well. It is bluetooth capable as well.
I'll second this set up. If you have a blue tooth phone, it works great and the voice activated comms with the rider works well after a little getting used to (have to find the right tone/pitch to activate the mike).

I don't ride with music or GPS in my ear, so this is nice. Even with the gear on the helmet, I can still store my helmet in the side case.

Scala Rider Teamset here too. Vox sensitivity could be better but at least it isn't turning on for no good reason. Battery life is excellent. I've used it for short range (30~50 yds) bike to bike.

I just ordered a set of Midland BT2-D for my wife and I, they retail for between $350-$399 in most places but found them on amazon for less than $250 with free shipping ( https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Bluetooth-In...e/dp/B0028MHUBA ) They seem to do everything that other blue tooth units do (cell phone, gps, bike to bike) but they are also able to stream music from a bluetooth mp3 player and you can hook up a walkie-talkie with a cable and talk for miles to anyone you want. Both units are identical so they can be used separate or together ( the passenger unit is not depended on the rider unit) I do not have them yet but should within a week or so and Ill report back about their performance.

Here is a review from webBikeWorld

https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-int...-midland-bt2-d/

I guess you are talking about adding the system to helmets you already have but I have 4 Nolan N-com helmets and they all support the built-in bluetooth Nolan N-com intercom. They also allow me to hear my bluetooth mobile phones and blackberry. Here in Germany I cruise at 100+mph and I wear earplugs for wind noise. The Nolan N-com systems still lets me hear all my devices and have a conversation with the passenger without any issues.

[/left]

Do a search at www.webbikeworld.com for full reviews ao ALOT of these systems.

Their review of THIS, led to my purchase.

I'll post up on it upon arrival.

V

I have had these for 3 weeks. Very good indeed. Drawback: only two devices can connect at one time. Therefore, you can't have three devices communicating simultaneously. I hear the G4 can connect up to four devices (hence the 4 in the G4). I am not sure what the 4 in the F4 means. My GF and I love it. She rides her own
VFR. As matter of fact the inter-bike communication is so good I had to turn mine off a few times to give my ears a rest :D . Sam​