Helmets and children...too much protection?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MajBach

Reaction score
I recently introduced my girlfriend's 9 year old to the back seat of the FJ ; she can't wait to get on it again.
nyam.gif

Despite planning on just a quick 15 minute ride her first time on a bike, I dressed her up in protective gear and explained to her the importance of it it, even in today's hot weather. But I did have some concerns about the helmet.

She has a brand new Scorpion modular helmet - XS- I bought when I purchased mine in anticipation of a tiny pillion some day. Although it fits her quite snug with virtually no play, the thing looks like a basketball on a stick-figure. I can't help but think about all that extra inertia on her head. Does anyone know of safety issues regarding helmet size and there becoming a point where there is too much helmet for a small neck to support?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any children, (that I know of..
unsure.png
), however, if I were to take a child as pillion, I'd most definitely equip him/her with a neck brace. I believe such braces are available online and probably at some motorcycle/atv shops

Whiplash (any neck issue reuslting from excessive head motion) is such a low consideration in motorcycle incidents that thinking about it is a waste of energy (IMHO).

A helmet will look clunkier on a kid for a couple of reason. First, a child's head is larger with respect to their body than an adult's, anything on their head already looks too big. Secondly, even though the helmet is a smaller size for the smaller head, its protective elements are probably not any thinner than a full-size adult's helmet. This just makes an already disproportionate-looking piece of headgear even more disproportionate.

If the child can't lift themselves from the seat by standing on the pegs, then they don't belong on the bike. Size of headgear is irrelevant. Size of child is what matters.

There are youth-sized helmets for kids that have smaller, lighter shells

than the similar style adult-sized helmet yet still have equivalent

levels of protection. Time to go shopping.

My son began riding with me when he was between seven and eight.

+1 on shopping for a youth size helmet. We picked up a youth HJC that served him well until he grew into larger gear. Cycle Gear is a great place to shop for reasonably priced kids gear.

--G