Helmets

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
What helmet are you wearing, or what helmets do you rotate through? Manufacturer and color, likes and dislikes?

I am wearing a Vega Summit II

It is due for replacement and will be replaced with a Vega Summit 3

Helmet is DOT and ECE rated, and the new one has an internal sun visor. I wear it with earplugs and an LD Comfort Liner and the combination is comfortable even after 24 hours.

Edit: Current helmet is a Wine Red. I will replace it either with white, or a Hi-Viz color.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to wear Shoei. After a couple of hours, I would get a major headache, as they never did fit right. I tried on a Suomy, and bought it. I won't buy another make of helmet other than these. The inside pads are removeable and replaced easily. It's very comfortable! The only drawback is that it's loud. However, I wear foam earplugs so it's not really an issue. I have a Spec 1R. I haven't looked lately if they still make that model.

I have a Shoei Neotec and a Shoei GT-Air. Although the Shoei Neotec is very handy with the modular design, the GT-Air is more comfortable (fits small though and needed an XL instead of L). Both have internal visors and excellent ventilation.

Schuberth C3. Had it for several years, very happy with it.

I want a flip front (not everybody does), it's light, reasonable vents, reasonably quiet, I could mount my Scala bluetooth and the earpieces without too much trouble (Schuberth will sell you a bluetooth replacement for the collar for a few mega-pennies).

Colour is white, for visibility.

Fairly expensive, but it's an expense that I think worth paying. Comes with a pin-lock visor. I could have bought another (cheap) helmet for the price of a replacement visor when mine got damaged.

Previous lids: Shoei - good but heavier, not as well vented, noisier. A Caburg, significantly cheaper, but I was very disappointed in many respects.

Helmets are a very personal choice. The fit can vary between helmets of the same size (we have different shaped heads, so do helmets), fasteners vary, even how quickly they start to smell, how easy to wash the linings. I wear glasses, something else to take into account if you do.

I'm planning on going with white or hi-viz next time. But I just saw the Vega 3 comes in Candy Red. Coincidence? I think not. My new bike is nowhere near as visible as the last one. I love me some modular helmet.

Current helmet is a Shoei Neotech in hi-viz yellow.

Have an Arai Corsair V in the yellow/white/black Randy Mamola colors as well.

Interesting discussion. I'm on my second Caberg flip-up. It's a bit noisy, but with earplugs it's not bad. Shoei before that, and AGVs, Premier, and Bell in the distant past.

First Caberg was matte finish, and I totally screwed it up. Not sure how, I just cleaned with Honda spray polish, like I always do. But the matte finish got real sticky, couldn't stand to mess with it any more. Second Caberg is a gloss finish and is holding up fine.

Wearing glasses with a helmet is a downer, but gotta see, right? That drove me to flip-up helmets. I like them, mostly, but I think they allow/cause more wind noise.

Not a big fan of Snell certification, as it was calibrated to allow more pounds of force past the compression material and into the skull. New Snell may have lowered those thresholds. I prefer helmets with the ECE cert or DOT cert; both standards are set to lower impact thresholds than Snell was.

The Shuberth is tempting, but pricey. Another year, two at the most, is all the current Caberg needs to go.

Of all gear shopping, helmets are the worst. Followed by gloves, lol.

+ 1 on the Shoei GT Air just bought the wife and I one and after a 100 mile ride yesterday we likey.

Shoei Neotec for me.

This helmet fills in all the gaps for me. It is well balanced, very comfortable, great ventilation, flip down visor, removable liner and it is easy to put on and take off.

Mine is smoke gray.

This is the best helmet I have ever owned.

Empire 1549 full face. Not cheap and doesn't deflect blaster shots worth a damn. But the ventilation system is da shizzle!

1549_stormtrooper_helmet_alt.jpg

Bell Vortex, Roland Sands graphics: "Forever a Servant to the Gods of Speed". (What a cliché.) Quiet, decent ventilation, but most important ... it fits my head.

Want the hi-vis chrome of my old pirate half-hat, but this is all Google finds for "chrome full face motorcycle helmet": https://maseihelmets.jp/zcart_e/index.php?main_page=index&cpath=124_131