Help installing Audiovox Cruise @ NERDS anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top_Speed1

Panama Canal Crosser
Reaction score
No Tech day at NERDS this year, understand why, but...

Wanna put out a feeler if there is anyone familiar (& willing of course!) to install an electronic cruise (Audiovox CCS100?) on my Gen2 in our Nerdy parking lot (We had an array of tires being changed last year there). I can have the control panel pre-mounted/pre-trip, even the canister under the seat but just not comfortable with the rest of the install as I have read too many horror stories.

I have really enjoyed everyone on this site especially at my attended events/rally's. SO... besides the normal drinkage during our parking lot socials, please state your costs as I'm not looking for a donation of time, effort and knowledge. A group install "geek over" with beers is OK as long as it gets back together (correctly!) lol.

And- No you can't have Steamers shaved ass
bow_arrow.gif
(for the nite), he's (supposedly) bringing a FEMALE!
bleh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more than willing to stand around and watch for absolutely no charge. Witty comments are extra.

...I can have the control panel pre-mounted/pre-trip, even the canister under the seat...
Even with everything setup this will be 4-6 hrs in the parking lot. You will need to do some of the heavy lifting before hand -- like drilling the throttle stop tab to accept the throttle pull chain from the servo. It would also help to have vacuum hose, vacuum tees, check valves for every port you are going to tap, sleeving for wire runs like asphalt loom or corrugated split wire loom. It would be good to have a brake light relay setup. A power block would be handy. Tools like wire strippers, connector crimpers, wire cutters, electrical tape, shrink sleeve or equivalent with a heat source are handy. Somebody should bring a DMM. You should really have the control pad taken apart and sealed against water. Unless you want to tap the coil wire with a Scotchlok you may want to make a Y to plug on at the coil:

CoilTee.jpg

Note, the rings should go around the switch openings, not on the membrane.

RTVRings.jpg

CaseRTV.jpg

--or this will happen-- (not mine)

PCB1.jpg

I was going to post the similar warnings to what ionbeam just did.

This ain't no parking lot job, IMO. Especially if you want it to work when you're done. ;)

4-6 hours? I'll bring a chair and a cooler.
When Smitty was doing these in large numbers and was 'in shape' he could bang out an install in 3 to 3.5 hrs in a garage with everything setup.
Thanks Alan, I was thinking the 3+ hrs for our non-garage install.... oops! my bad!

I was going to post the similar warnings to what ionbeam just did.
This ain't no parking lot job, IMO. Especially if you want it to work when you're done.
wink.png
Guess with your expertise and past experience (and Alan!) I will have to shit-can the idea. Yeah, probably would be a good thing if it worked after the installation :)

Still bring your chair and cooler, we'll just have to entertain you in a different way :)

Bring the bike to Tech Day at Bust's in the fall where we can do a right proper job of wrecking stuff live on UStream.

Bust will likely have the bike running backwards by the time we're done with it. Just don't let the smoke out of anything. We don't want Bust squealing like a little girl again. That was scary.

When Smitty was doing these in large numbers and was 'in shape' he could bang out an install in 3 to 3.5 hrs in a garage with everything setup.
Let's get a hold of the guy that said it only takes 35 minutes to do valve checks. I'm sure he could knock this off in 15 minutes. I always wanted to see the watch he was using anyways. It would prove to be 'educational'.

Still bring your chair and cooler, we'll just have to entertain you in a different way
You're bringing the ducks?
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Let's get a hold of the guy that said it only takes 35 minutes to do valve checks. I'm sure he could knock this off in 15 minutes. I always wanted to see the watch he was using anyways. It would prove to be 'educational'.

What fool master mechanic was that? I usually plan on about 4 hours to do a valve check. Lot of fiddling around and cleaning of parts required to get into the valves.

On second thought, the valve check itself (feeler gauge part) only takes about 5-10 minutes. It's all the disassembly and reassembly that takes the 3-4 hours.
wink.png

Let's get a hold of the guy that said it only takes 35 minutes to do valve checks change a CCT. I'm sure he could knock this off in 15 minutes. I always wanted to see the watch he was using anyways. It would prove to be 'educational'.
What fool master mechanic was that? I usually plan on about 4 hours to do a valve check. Lot of fiddling around and cleaning of parts required to get into the valves.
Here is the actual post....

35 minutes for CCT Change

Sorry, it wasn't valve checks. It was to change a CCT but still that is "out there".

Yeah a CCT is much easier as no need to drain and refill the coolant. But a wise owner would pull the right lower faring, the timing cover and secure the cam chain before yanking the CCT out. I'd call that a 2 hour job start to finish.

Again, the actual CCT replacement only takes about 20 minutes, all the other stuff getting ready to do it and then putting it all back together takes the rest of the 2 hours

man, glad I didn't see this write-up before I changed my CCT last fall.

All I did was remove the three bolts holding the old one in place and remove it and plug in the new one and bolt it up!!

I think it took me 35 minutes from start to finish and because I'm older that included having to stop to take a leak..

Cross quoting (is that allowed) from Bill's linked to post. That fella wasn't a master mechanic, just real lucky he didn't skip a tooth on the crank with the slack chain.

Then he would have gotten to do the valve check whether it was time to do one or not. ;)

8-10 hours easy if you've never done it before. That's how long it took me to do mine. Which turned out to be a big waste of time as the unit stopped working about 3 months later. Bought a new one to replace it. That one stopped working after about 3 months. Bought yet another. Said feck it before I could replace it again. Sold it on the forum.

Ripped the entire works out and went back to a good old $15 throttle lock.

If all electrical and other tools available and KJ isn't there, this might be doable in a day. If KJ is there and talking, you'll be lucky to get it done in two days. Jes sayin'.....

If all electrical and other tools available and KJ isn't there, this might be doable in a day. If KJ is there and talking, you'll be lucky to get it done in two days. Jes sayin'.....
Hey hey, depends on how much beer is on hand (or is that in hand?)

Ionbeamer and FredW pretty much convinced me this was out of reach back prior to the event ...and that was with or without me. It's OK, I've moved on and had an extra session or two with my therapist (well me along side my rehab partner; da'Steam)... we goot!