Help me put this map in my Garmin 765T, PLEASE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I've designed a ride in google maps that I want to upload into my Garmin 765T. I've tried google searches, searches on this forum, and others but it's still not working for me.

Here's a link to the ride:

Estes Park Trip

I've downloaded the Garmin plug-in that's available in google maps but it only works when I do simple maps where I specify the waypoints and let garmin do the routing. In the attached map I have dragged the route endlessly to where I've left very little routing to google maps. Now when I click the 'Send' button it no longer displays the Garmin GPS device.

Any other way to get this done? All help will be greatly appreciated.

I've designed a ride in google maps that I want to upload into my Garmin 765T. I've tried google searches, searches on this forum, and others but it's still not working for me.
Here's a link to the ride:

Estes Park Trip

I've downloaded the Garmin plug-in that's available in google maps but it only works when I do simple maps where I specify the waypoints and let garmin do the routing. In the attached map I have dragged the route endlessly to where I've left very little routing to google maps. Now when I click the 'Send' button it no longer displays the Garmin GPS device.

Any other way to get this done? All help will be greatly appreciated.
https://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

TYRE. You put the link from the Google Maps page with your route into the utility and save as a GPX file you load into Mapsource. EZ!! I think it's easier than the GmaptoGPX linked above, but that's only an opinion.

In the toot-my-own-horn department, have a look at this post in my "Comparison of Mapping Programs" thread, outlinig the whole process of getting a Google Maps route into a Garmin device.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried using GPSBABEL software?
I haven't. I'll take a look at it.

TYRE. You put the link from the Google Maps page with your route into the utility and save as a GPX file you load into Mapsource. EZ!! I think it's easier than the GmaptoGPX linked above, but that's only an opinion.
In the toot-my-own-horn department, have a look at this post in my "Comparison of Mapping Programs" thread, outlinig the whole process of getting a Google Maps route into a Garmin device.
Thanks! BTW, I don't 'think' my model of GPS (Garmin 765T) uses the Mapsource software. I tried loading it and connecting but it wouldn't recognize my device.

this post[/url] in my "Comparison of Mapping Programs" thread, outlinig the whole process of getting a Google Maps route into a Garmin device.
Actually I just followed your link and I have read this thread. It was very helpful. I'm sure all of us appreciate the huge effort you put into it. THANKS!

Looking at the manual online, it appears that Mapsource will not transfer to the 765T, but you can use Windows to copy files from Mapsource to the device. The device appears as a USB drive when it's connected. Once a route is created in Mapsource, saved, and copied to the device's memory, then on the device you select Tools, My Data, Import route from file to use the route on the device.

Looking at the manual online, it appears that Mapsource will not transfer to the 765T
I have used roadtrip (mac version of mapsource) to load maps onto my father in laws garmin 765t

I am sure the mapsource issue is a windows, driver, usb, etc... issue

The website and owners manual both list that it works with mapsource.

Where do you see that is does not work with mapsource?

Without mapsource how would you ever update the maps to 2010 or 2011...?

Thanks! BTW, I don't 'think' my model of GPS (Garmin 765T) uses the Mapsource software. I tried loading it and connecting but it wouldn't recognize my device.
Unfortunately, resolving your driver issue as to why mapsource doesn't see your Garmin may be your best solution.

It might as simple as loading new USB drivers, or even trying a different USB port.

I already provided a mapsource compatible route in your other thread, maybe you missed it.

Link

The problem with all of the other solutions people are offering is your google route has many complex turns or waypoints in it.

There are tons of programs out there that will convert a google map to something readable in a gpx or kml format but nothing that I have found will keep all of your specific turns intact.

What you end up with is a basic square or triangular route with your 'major' key points carried over - not your specific route you have detailed at google.

I imported your google map directions from google earth and spent about 10 minutes manually dragging your turns to create a closely matched mapsource file.

Looking at the manual online, it appears that Mapsource will not transfer to the 765T
I have used roadtrip (mac version of mapsource) to load maps onto my father in laws garmin 765t

I am sure the mapsource issue is a windows, driver, usb, etc... issue

The website and owners manual both list that it works with mapsource.

Where do you see that is does not work with mapsource?

Without mapsource how would you ever update the maps to 2010 or 2011...?
In reading the manual, it says that connecting the 765T to the PC shows its memory as an external USB drive, and you can copy files to it. Regarding Mapsource, it lists Mapsource routes, maps, and waypoints as "supported file types." Then it specifically says "if you've transferred a route from Mapsource" you still have to import it. That's where I got the "not able to transfer" idea, meaning the way I've always done it in Mapsource.

I guess the question is, does the device when attached to the PC show up as an external drive? If not, then it's definitely a USB problem. If it does, but doesn't show in Mapsource, then that's a little weird, but he could save the files on the PC and then use Windows to just copy them to the "drive" that represents the GPS, or even save as in Mapsource and use the drive that represents the 765.

I guess the question is, does the device when attached to the PC show up as an external drive? If not, then it's definitely a USB problem. If it does, but doesn't show in Mapsource, then that's a little weird, but he could save the files on the PC and then use Windows to just copy them to the "drive" that represents the GPS, or even save as in Mapsource and use the drive that represents the 765.
Yes, when I connect the 765T to my pc I CAN drag files to it without any issues.

Where did you guys go to download Mapquest? No CD's provided with the unit and it seems you that the versions of MQ I found online were 'upgrade' versions which you had to trick the PC into loading. Is Mapquest supposed to be a 'for sale' product even if you've purchased a new Garmin unit?

BTW, in desperation and frustration, I manually added one of my custom routes. What a PITA. That keyboard is not vey accurate in its touch-screen sensitivity. Certainly nothing like my iPhone.

It's Mapsource, not Mapquest, and I would have expected it to come with the receiver. Maybe they don't expect you to use a PC for routing, just the receiver. Mapsource, even if you got it downloaded, won't run if there's not a mapping product like City Navigator installed on the PC.

It's Mapsource, not Mapquest, and I would have expected it to come with the receiver. Maybe they don't expect you to use a PC for routing, just the receiver. Mapsource, even if you got it downloaded, won't run if there's not a mapping product like City Navigator installed on the PC.
Oops, I meant Mapsource, not Mapquest. Damn fingers just won't do what they're told ;)

Ok, so do you just download City Navigator and then Mapsource?