Help me route this loop!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thompsonian

Mr. Christmas Pants
Reaction score
So I've decided that I want to take a different type of ride this year while on vacation. I know the route I WANT to take, but not sure if its do-able in one day or not. I don't have the know-how to route it out on any programs to tell me a mileage guesstimate. I only have DeLorme Steet & Trips on my laptop at home and really don't have any idea on how to exploit it to the fullest. I am thinking of doing this trip on Monday June 30th since I will be on vacation all that week. The SO has school all week so I have gotten the OK to ride almost every day!! :yahoo: Anyone who wishes to join in may do so. I might even be able to do it on a Sunday if that means folks can join me easier. Anywho, here is my list of roads I want to take. Any other suggestions you all may have, feel free to add or if there is a road I should avoid, again, let me know. If anyone one out here in FJRforum land can give me a hand with this, it'd be much appreciated:

Start in Whipple,OH

821 to Lower Salem

145 Lower Salem to 800 @ Malaga

800 to 22 near Smyma

22 to US250 near Cadiz

US250 to WV891 near Rocklick WV

891 turns into PA21 to Polen,PA

21 to Uniontown,PA pick up US40

US40 to US219 ( Garrett Highway ) near Keyser Rock I believe

219 thru Deep Creek Lake area to US50

US50 thru Grafton to Parkersburg,WV

I77N from Pkb to Marietta,OH

Exit 6 off I77N to 821, back to Whipple

Again, if any of you Routemeisters can give me a hand with this, I'd REALLY appreciate it! Being a rookie with this kind of stuff is no fun. As an important side note, I DO NOT have a GPS. I only have old fashioned maps. Need to buy one of those things.....

TIA,

-Dave

Hi I planned the route out on Google maps here

If you hold the left mouse button down while on

the route you can change which roads it follows

If you don't need to be back quickly pick ANY road

other than Rt.50 between Clarksburg & Parkersburg.

That is in my opinion the most boorrring road in WV.

Hope this helps

Chuck

If you don't need to be back quickly pick ANY road other than Rt.50 between Clarksburg & Parkersburg.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks! Yeah..I know 50 is boring as HELL, but that is my "escape" route home. Depending on how tired I am, that is why I chose 50. Once I get to Clarksburg, I know my way around the area pretty well. Those are my home riding roads.

Hi I planned the route out on Google maps here
If you hold the left mouse button down while on

the route you can change which roads it follows

If you don't need to be back quickly pick ANY road

other than Rt.50 between Clarksburg & Parkersburg.

Hope this helps

Chuck
I would tend to agree...

...but even the most boring road in WV beats the most exciting IL road. So if yer just beating back to the barn...then yeah, take it.

I know a number of those roads and drive from New Philly to the DC area every summer. It's doable, but it'll be a very long day. It may be more enjoyable to make it slightly longer and find a nice hotel or campground at some point.

I had planned on making it a long day anyways. When the wifey has school, all she does is study ( but then again she has had a 4.0 GPA for 2 years straight ) and it gets boring around the house. I don't mind leaving early and being gone all day either. I also tried to find a route that has some "escape" routes incase I gets tired. I'm also supposed to be going the the BRP that following weekend (7/11) with my father-in-law. So that will be a longer ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't need to be back quickly pick ANY road other than Rt.50 between Clarksburg & Parkersburg.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks! Yeah..I know 50 is boring as HELL, but that is my "escape" route home. Depending on how tired I am, that is why I chose 50. Once I get to Clarksburg, I know my way around the area pretty well. Those are my home riding roads.
Dude, at 350 miles Chuck is right, you dont want 50 from clarksburg west. For that mater 40 from union town to 219 is a yawn too. Both are scenic... I suppose. I would propose 119 from uniion town to Morgantown or grafton. from morgantown you could do 19 south to fairmont then on either 310 or 250 down to 50 (or the reverse if headed north). all great roads!! Finally 219 to from 40 to redhouse is also a borring road. dont have much of a solution to that.. maybe head a bit further east and catch 38-42 down to 50 (or reverse).

sorry to poop on your loop but it is kind of sucky :)

sorry to poop on your loop but it is kind of sucky :)
No need to be sorry. I have never been on any of these roads other than 145,800, and 50. I only wanted to do 219 to go thru Deep Creek. I was there on a HS trip bout 13 years ago and wanted to go back and check it out again. I must investigate these other roads you speak of. I know I'd like to hit 250 near Moundsville. S'posed to be awesome riding. Like I've said earlier, any and all suggestions are well appreciated. I do have an entire week to fill up!! I'm really new to the sport touring thing, and now that I have a bike quite capable of longer trips, I'd like to venture on a couple of them this summer. ANY route ideas are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave- You might consider another option. Just head off on whatever roads east look good until you get to a certain point in the day where you think it a good idea to start heading in a different direction. Great way to find new roads. Leave the GPS on map mode and not as route guidance.

Bob

Bob,

Sounds like a good idea, ....cept I don't own a GPS yet. Gotta save up to buy one of those jewels. I think my uncle & I will be taking the route that TStaf has suggested minus a couple of roads. One of them is a gravel road. I've been down it. Any and all members who can get June 30th off are more than welcome to tag along. I promise it won't be a very fast pace :D