Help needed in Nebraska

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am 25.7 k into the longest month. Here I sit in western Nebraska with my bike In pieces at a rest stop. Problem is front brake side wheel bearings... casing and wheel bearings are shot. Anyone close by with a solution?

Wish you were in the Seattle area, I have the tools and bearings sitting here on the bench. Hopefully someone is closer to you that can help.

I am now in North Platte, NE at a HD/Yamaha/Honda... dealership. They have no parts in stock. I need both sets of bearings and the outside spacer was chewed a little. I could get by with just bearings now.

This isn't much help but I hope you get back on the road sooner than expected.

Sucks the dealer isn't offering better support. I thought when you buy a Yamaha or whoever the manufacture is you are buying into a network of support when you're on the road. Hope their attitudes improve and they don't make the headache you're dealing with worse.

I have a spare front wheel for my '05 non-ABS. The wheel is in NY so it would take some time to get there, but it's available if you want it.

Edit; I see you have both an '05 and '08. I doubt the wheel will fit on '08.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have ordered all parts. The dealership buckled down and put some great effort into helping me. I knew what I was dealing with when I removed the axel and partial bearings and mangled casing started falling out.

Ordered axel, bearings, spacer, and brake pads. Overnighted and I checked into a motel room. Hopefully parts arrive early and repairs are done fast. Hope to be on the road in the night ... well rested.

Routing will be done on the ride.

So we now know that we can get 200K out of a front set of bearings. Trying to look at the positive side.

Sorry for the misfortune.

Dave

This is probably too late to help, but...

I found this post with the generic bearing and seal part #'s. should be enough info here to cross reference to a local bearing supplier. I put NSK bearings in my front wheel about 5 years ago and they are still going strong.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21497

In my mind I have been going over this ride to figure out how I came to this point. Many possibilities: when I started riding the Deca attempt the weather was just terrible. The construction zones had many violent bumps and my front wheel developed a wobble. My front axel has an ever so slight bend in it now. At the time, I thought I had just thrown some of the balancing weights. Either way; 23k of riding just destroyed the bearings.

I am not taking any chances, I am replacing everything.

...And Dave, my last FJR had 262k and never had bearing issues. Perhaps because it was a superior Gen 1 !!! All things said, if I can be back in business tomorrow, I just need to knock out 7k in 5 days.

Last thought that went through my head on the Deca right before I discovered my bad rear tire? I am feeling good and the weather has turned- I got this! That same thought came to me when I Crossed over into Nebraska and I was approaching 26k on day 23.

...And Dave, my last FJR had 262k and never had bearing issues. Perhaps because it was a superior Gen 1 !!! All things said, if I can be back in business tomorrow, I just need to knock out 7k in 5 days.
Good luck! That's a pretty ambitious plan.

I replaced front bearings on my '07 at around 140,000 miles - they were not too bad but I noticed they felt a little notchy when changing tires. Rear bearings were still fine at 185,000 when I sold it.