Hey all...nice to be here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MD707

Reaction score
I bought my FJR1300A (2013) about 3 months ago. My Dad (RIP) had a 2008 and I rode it once when he visited me in California...I was impressed with the power and handling and styling of this beast. I had a Honda ST1100 at that time but recently I made the switch to the FJR. Right now I am looking to replace the stock seat...I hate that seat. I think I am going to go with the Seat Concepts seat as I have a few friends that ride with them and like the seats a lot. Russell and Lamb and Corbin and even Yamaha Comfort were all considered...in the end price and personal recommendations are making the choice.
Looking forward to possibly doing a meet-up ride in the Solano or nearby county one Sunday. I have been riding for about 40 years in both dirt and street bike worlds. I am now in my 50's and looking for some quality time with some scenic roads.
Have a good weekend to all...

Michael

That stock seat is not your friend on a long hot day in the saddle....

I did a 773 mile day which included the entire state of KS on I-70 5 years ago and the wind, heat and humidity were truely daunting.

That's a great looking bike you got there.

Welcome to the forum.

Worst seat of all the bikes I have owned.
It's been high 90s ro mid 100s here lately...as if riding into a blow dryer isn't bad enough, sitting on what feels like a piece of pine with sharp edges is just enough to make me want to drive my Tundra to work. So today I will be ordering my Seat Concepts!
Cheers!!

Yes I have looked into RDL seats. They are top quality for sure...but also more expensive and take twice as long to get done. I use my bike for commuting and weekend fun rides. When I buy my next bike (Goldwings newest model) I will get the best seat possible.

Worst seat of all the bikes I have owned.
It's been high 90s ro mid 100s here lately...as if riding into a blow dryer isn't bad enough, sitting on what feels like a piece of pine with sharp edges is just enough to make me want to drive my Tundra to work. So today I will be ordering my Seat Concepts!
Cheers!!
I have a c concepts with a little bit of extra foam on it I'm sitting on top of a pan that was meant for a sergeant seat so it has the little pocket I'm willing to discuss selling it to you

Welcome, Michael. Nice looking bike. Where was your latest ride?

Interesting. I've put nearly 30,000 miles on my 2020 in less than 2 years, all on the stock seat.
All I can say is you must have an iron butt with no nerves or you're one of those lightweights for whom the seat maybe was designed. I made it through to my second riding season with my '03 before getting it reworked by Rich's in Seattle. His seat was perfect for doing an Iron Butt ride. Wish I'd had him do my '08 instead of Rick Meyers. The Meyers seat qualified as a 500 miler and could be stretched to 600 but my butt would scream for mercy on any longer ride. I had it re-foamed locally after the foam didn't go the distance and it's more of a 450 miler now. If I was going to ride out to the west coast again, I'd be taking my Airhawk along for those longer days.

Every off-the-rack anything is built to a "standard". Sometimes there are a few people that even match that standard.

All I can say is you must have an iron butt with no nerves or you're one of those lightweights for whom the seat maybe was designed. I made it through to my second riding season with my '03 before getting it reworked by Rich's in Seattle. His seat was perfect for doing an Iron Butt ride. Wish I'd had him do my '08 instead of Rick Meyers. The Meyers seat qualified as a 500 miler and could be stretched to 600 but my butt would scream for mercy on any longer ride. I had it re-foamed locally after the foam didn't go the distance and it's more of a 450 miler now. If I was going to ride out to the west coast again, I'd be taking my Airhawk along for those longer days.
I fitted my 2010 with the Corbin product back in 2014. Thousands of miles later I still recommend it. Firm. Good looking. Not cheap. Like I used to be.

Welcome to the Forum. As others have said, seats are subjective. My stock seat was a torture rack. I have an RDL and like it, there are of course many choices out there. The sticker shock is bad, but stretched out over time makes it more palatable. Plus you can sell it later and not take a huge loss. see how long they stay for sale here/buy one here.

Welcome, Michael. Nice looking bike. Where was your latest ride?
Thanks. My last ride for the fun of it was out to Point Reyes on HWY 1. I had lunch there and then took my time cruising down scenic HWY 1 towards SF. The weather and the ride were perfect. Not much to do in PT. Reyes...a little food and a little shopping (something for my wife) and then I was bored. The next planned ride is up HWY 4 into the Sierra mountains and end up in Markleville CA. Have lunch then head to Lake Tahoe and visit friends. I did purchase a Seat Concepts seat for rider and passenger and I love it. I had a local upholstery shop swap out the old for the new and they did a fantastic job. I am super happy with the seats feel and both comfort and feedback from the bike. It took 10 weeks to get my order but was well worth the wait and the $480 cost.
Cheers!!
Michael

I have a c concepts with a little bit of extra foam on it I'm sitting on top of a pan that was meant for a sergeant seat so it has the little pocket I'm willing to discuss selling it to you
Thank you, but I bought a Seat Concepts and I am super happy with it.

Not the best pictures...but here is the new seat!

Attachments

• 20220823_175302.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220823_175313.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_094647.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_094733.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220827_094749.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 0
Not the best pictures...but here is the new seat!
It's looking good, I'm sure it's comfy. How big was the difference?
Thanks. My last ride for the fun of it was out to Point Reyes on HWY 1. I had lunch there and then took my time cruising down scenic HWY 1 towards SF. The weather and the ride were perfect. Not much to do in PT. Reyes...a little food and a little shopping (something for my wife) and then I was bored. The next planned ride is up HWY 4 into the Sierra mountains and end up in Markleville CA. Have lunch then head to Lake Tahoe and visit friends. I did purchase a Seat Concepts seat for rider and passenger and I love it. I had a local upholstery shop swap out the old for the new and they did a fantastic job. I am super happy with the seats feel and both comfort and feedback from the bike. It took 10 weeks to get my order but was well worth the wait and the $480 cost.
Cheers!!
Michael
That's fantastic. Glad you had a perfect ride and excited to hear about the next.