Hey my Minnesota homies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Got some BT021's at Dennis Kirk at less than SW Moto pricing, or $216.83 vs $219.90. And she was real sweet about it (though I've NEVER had an issue with Kirks cust. svc.). Add the fact that it's but a short trip from here, so no wait, even for the famous 2 day service outta SW, and it's a real deal for we locals. Info on their web site.

Yeah, it's a good thing to know, but they only match the prices (or is beat them by a dollar?) after somebody else has a lower price.

I'd just as well give my money to the guy who gives me the good deal to start with.

I've bought my last couple sets of tires from U Motors.

-bvw.

Dennis Kirk is a mail-order company rerportedly under the ownership umbrella of LeMans Corp, which owns Parts Unlimited, the largest aftermarket distributor in the U.S. As such, they buy their tires a LOT cheaper than SW Moto does, which is only a dealer and must buy them at dealer cost from a company such as Parts Unlimited. So, when Dennis Kirk sells something at retail, they make the distributor's profit AND they make the dealer's profit. When they have to match a dealer's price (be it SW Moto or anyone else), they are still selling it to you at a greater profit than if they sold it to a dealer.

Personally, I like a good price, but I also like supporting dealers, whether they're local or far away like SW Moto. We need dealers to succeed so we have a place to shop and to take our bikes for those service items we can't do ourselves. To support Parts Unlimited through Dennis Kirk, is to encourage them to screw over the very dealers that they sell their products to, by taking advantage of their distributor's purchase price to undercut their very own customers (dealers). That, to me, doesn't pass the smell test. That's why I NEVER, NEVER, EVER buy anything from Dennis Kirk.

YMMV.

<snip>....but I also like supporting dealers, whether they're local or far away like SW Moto.
Your sentiment is honorable -- but, maybe misplaced? SW Moto is not a dealer but an internet m/c tire sales outlet (and, doesn't even have telephone service). Dennis Kirk, OTOH, has paper catalogs, CDs, telephone, store front, as well as a very complete I'net presence.

You may not know this; but, once (several years ago) SW Moto bought all the tires (specific models & sizes) from a certain manufacturer (from, the importer, Parts) in order to 'corner the market' on those tires.

<snip>We need dealers to succeed so we have a place to shop and to take our bikes for those service items we can't do ourselves. To support Parts Unlimited through Dennis Kirk, is to encourage them to screw over the very dealers that they sell their products to, by taking advantage of their distributor's purchase price to undercut their very own customers(dealers).
....and, reccos for those who do their own work and don't, regularly, visit dealers....??

Also, University Motors (one of this site's respected vendors) will give you a Parts CD and sell you D-K stuff at discounted prices -- go figure? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator: