Hi folks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for letting me join. Long time old biker here, 1st FJR but not first Yam. I have a 2001 FZ1 and a 1985 SRX 600. Also a 73 Guzzi Eldo and a 79 Ducati 900 ss. I bought the FJR to replace an old 85 Goldwing I bought for 2up with my girlfriend. The Wing was just way too bargey for me. Rode a Bud's gen 1 FJR and was sold. I found an 09 gen 2 and swooped on it. North American model as I'm in Canada. Bike in nice shape, 60000 km, no red key (ggrrrr), yam top box, 3rd owner I think, no history. I posted in tech section about TB sync and CO so maybe someone can shine a light. Stay safe, cheers.

Hi Bub. Welcome from New Brunswick. Where are you? Red key not a big deal. The chipped keys used for non-US models are pretty robust. Just don't lose one - you won't wear it out. I put 295,000 km on my '07. Around 150,000 on my 2011 so far.

Hi Bub. Welcome from New Brunswick. Where are you? Red key not a big deal. The chipped keys used for non-US models are pretty robust. Just don't lose one - you won't wear it out. I put 295,000 km on my '07. Around 150,000 on my 2011 so far.
Hi RossKean and thanks for the welcome. I tried to hunt down the red key 'cause you know it's in somebody's drawer, but no joy even with cash incentives. Both my black keys were twisting, from the bags perhaps. They would resist turning in the ignition until straightened out. They're brass so can't do that very much. I had a non convenience key cut, only teeth on one side, much stronger. I put it on a ring with a black and it works, the RFID chip is close enough. The miles folks get out of these is incredible, mine's bone stock, seat could be better but padded cycling shorts solved that.
I'm in Mission BC, an hour from Vancouver.

Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new (to you) '09! Great machine...wish I had my '09 back!!

~G

Hey bub & welcome, you can transfer the chip from one key to the other and keep the twisted key as a spare
Hi and thanks for the welcome.. I considered trying to harvest the chip from the black key but I thought it might have the potential to go sour. I could find no info about this so decided not to as the chip is so precious without the red to re-program a new one. I'd be very grateful if you would share any knowledge you have about doing this. Cheers.

Hello Bub from SoCal. I too have a '09, my second FJR. My first an '07 lost the battle versus a light pole. Great bikes! Welcome and stay safe.
Thanks for the welcome. Myself and a few old pals have been making an annual trek to Hwy36 out of Red Bluff since 2001. So fun that road. Covid put a damper on that but we're going to try it again this year. Likely take my old FZ1, it's better suited for railing and not a tearjerker if it takes a slide. If you've never ridden it treat yourself. Cheers mate.

Myself and a few old pals have been making an annual trek to Hwy36 out of Red Bluff since 2001.
I have to admit that is one great riding road. This image pretty much says it all. I did a ride west in '08 to get a seat done at Rick Mayers and had opportunity to spend a couple days riding 36. Make sure you have sufficient rubber. Makes it more enjoyable.
Topic shift - I've never found the FJR stock seat to work for me which is why I've had custom seats done for both my '03 and my '08. If you have deep pockets, Rich's in Seattle does amazing work. I rated his seat as ready for an iron butt rally. The Mayers was just a 500 miler, which is still a good riding day but just not ready for a real long riding day.
img_2329_std.jpg

Love 36, but try Platina road if you get a chance! Right off 36 goes to Redding. super winding and no traffic at all.
Oh man, I know that road well, the locals call it "ditch road". Very challenging and dangerous. Apparently a hunter found a BMW and a skeleton in leathers in the bush on that road. Local tale but had the ring of truth to it, lots of spots to leave the tarmac and sail. Ruth Lake road is another nice one off 36.

Hi and thanks for the welcome.. I considered trying to harvest the chip from the black key but I thought it might have the potential to go sour. I could find no info about this so decided not to as the chip is so precious without the red to re-program a new one. I'd be very grateful if you would share any knowledge you have about doing this. Cheers.
Hey Bub this place can make you a new key https://lockshopltd.com/ without the red key I am sure others exist also but it is possible. They may even be able to make another Red key for you. The cost for the new key was $200.00 but cheaper than new ECU & ignition $3000.00 plus labor. transferring the chip is the easiest option.
A new chip can be programmed the blank required can be found here https://www.transpondery.com/transp...ow9HRb9EB22X-EC5tcaVfkRT6JFjP3SUku-mnMGvtlIbY

Latest posts