hi from pa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an-guy

hi
Reaction score
i dont usually make accounts for forums, but i made one here to download the comparison matrix for the FJRs so might as well say hi

i request an opinion. i dont have an FJR yet, I currently own and love a 2005 VFR800. I got it less than a year ago, and put about 22k miles on it. I think it might be time for a touring bike without a chain, lol. i might purchase a 2022 ES from my friend. i rode it down to TN with him and enjoyed it very much. i have some pics they took on the tail of the dragon if you like.

anyways, my question/opinion i want is im pretty much in between this 22 FJR and some kind of '15-17-ish BMW R1200RT. i imagine the bmw has a more modern dash, and a radio, and a single sided swingarm. while the FJR is a little lighter and might be a little faster (i like speed and hard cornering)

also, im a nugget of a person, only 5,8 and 170 lbs. I have trouble backing this bike up on basically any kind of grade. anyone else? what do people do to overcome this? i dont really wanna lower it since i already drag the center stand in turns...

all thoughts are greatly appreciated

A thicker sole is a good idea. I have been riding with loafers nowadays because my feet smell so bad in boots it's not even funny.

I agree... the BMW FJR will almost definitely cost less to own and take less time and effort to maintain. cost is a big thing for me right now.

Last edited:
1. Back in as needed to keep the front tire up hill.

2. Get off and pull from the side when needed. I leave the kickstand down when doing this and be ready to grab a handful of front brake lever if needed.

3. Put in neutral. In gear with clutch lever pulled adds resistance.

Eta 4. make sure the seat is in the low position.

BMW takes premium unleaded, FJR takes regular unleaded. That alone will save you in the long run.
Unless you flash the ECU. But at least with Ivans you only need 89 instead of premium. So score still saving $$$

1. Back in as needed to keep the front tire up hill.

2. Get off and pull from the side when needed. I leave the kickstand down when doing this and be ready to grab a handful of front brake lever if needed.

3. Put in neutral. In gear with clutch lever pulled adds resistance.

Eta 4. make sure the seat is in the low position.
This is all good to know. I've noticed my interceptor moves easier in neutral, maybe I'll have to put that into practice. I'll have to check on the seat too.

This FJR I'm looking at has been tuned to run on 93... It makes a huge difference in the heat it produces, but no perceivable change in power or economy. I would probably put it back to stock in the fall. I don't really want to pay 25% more for gas just so the bike is cooler. Engine ice could also have a similar effect.

And, yeah it's a big advantage over the BMWs for me to be able to just run 87.

This FJR I'm looking at has been tuned to run on 93... It makes a huge difference in the heat it produces, but no perceivable change in power or economy.
How was it "tuned"? The only ECU "tune" I am aware of is Ivan's - a number of threads on this forum or go to:
https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300.htmAdd-on devices such a Power Commanders are likely to hurt fuel economy without perceptible advantages in power or performance (although they greatly improved lean throttle issues on early Gen II).

I wouldn't say anything will make a "huge" difference in heat - these bikes are very reasonable in managing heat (at least since the introduction of Gen II in 2006). An engine "tune" could make some difference if it provides a richer fuel mix than stock. There are a number of other differences and claimed improvement with the Ivan tune you can get from his website or forum testimonials. Read about it before you decide one way or the other. Not everyone loves the result but most reviews are positive. "Requires" premium fuel but lots of people have used mid-grade or even regular.

No magic coolant will make much difference, IMHO. The engine still produces heat and that is carried away by the coolant and transferred to the air via the radiator. Coolant doesn't change the amount of waste heat the engine makes. There are claims that Engine Ice or other "special" coolants are better but I haven't seen much other than anecdotal evidence. Engine Ice is more expensive and I believe needs more frequent changing. Biggest advantage is that it is propylene glycol based rather than ethylene glycol so it is less toxic. Promoted for racing applications. Why use a coolant that the manufacturer doesn't endorse?

This is all good to know. I've noticed my interceptor moves easier in neutral, maybe I'll have to put that into practice. I'll have to check on the seat too.

This FJR I'm looking at has been tuned to run on 93... It makes a huge difference in the heat it produces, but no perceivable change in power or economy. I would probably put it back to stock in the fall. I don't really want to pay 25% more for gas just so the bike is cooler. Engine ice could also have a similar effect.

And, yeah it's a big advantage over the BMWs for me to be able to just run 87.
Most Ivan’s tunes prefer premium but the FJR was done on 89 per his dyno charts.

1684332575956.png

I will use premium randomly. Mostly super hot and heavy loaded rides are more inclined to get the expensive juice.

How was it "tuned"? The only ECU "tune" I am aware of is Ivan's - a number of threads on this forum or go to:
https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300.htmAdd-on devices such a Power Commanders are likely to hurt fuel economy without perceptible advantages in power or performance (although they greatly improved lean throttle issues on early Gen II).

I wouldn't say anything will make a "huge" difference in heat - these bikes are very reasonable in managing heat (at least since the introduction of Gen II in 2006). An engine "tune" could make some difference if it provides a richer fuel mix than stock. There are a number of other differences and claimed improvement with the Ivan tune you can get from his website or forum testimonials. Read about it before you decide one way or the other. Not everyone loves the result but most reviews are positive. "Requires" premium fuel but lots of people have used mid-grade or even regular.

No magic coolant will make much difference, IMHO. The engine still produces heat and that is carried away by the coolant and transferred to the air via the radiator. Coolant doesn't change the amount of waste heat the engine makes. There are claims that Engine Ice or other "special" coolants are better but I haven't seen much other than anecdotal evidence. Engine Ice is more expensive and I believe needs more frequent changing. Biggest advantage is that it is propylene glycol based rather than ethylene glycol so it is less toxic. Promoted for racing applications. Why use a coolant that the manufacturer doesn't endorse?
I'm not sure which tune it is. I'll have to ask the next time I see him. He did say it's free to send it back to change it back to stock, assuming it is Ivans, I wonder how much if anything he would want to ship it back and change everything back to stock except for how it turns the fans on at 195F. That seems to be the biggest reason why it seems cooler.

Bluetooth in the helmet will be better than having a radio. Cost, speed and cornering considerations all point to the FJR. You will not be sorry with the FJR.
Yeah... True. I have a cardo in my helmet, we all use them when riding. sounds like xbox live usually, with all of the topics and profanities. I was wondering if some speakers on a bike would sound better than a cardo in a helmet. The cardos "sound" but not very good.

BMW takes premium unleaded, FJR takes regular unleaded. That alone will save you in the long run.
This is just my opinion so don’t roast me. Your motorcycle gets incredible gas mileage and most motorcycle engines are performance based. Why oh why would you not use premium fuel.

This is just my opinion so don’t roast me. Your motorcycle gets incredible gas mileage and most motorcycle engines are performance based. Why oh why would you not use premium fuel.
Without getting technical and keeping things simple. The only advantage premium May offer for engines that are not designed to run/require it, is likely better detergent package. This is also an arguable point for some. I am sure many have strong opinions and some will jump in with the in depth technical reasoning so let the “not bashing” begin!

I was hooked on premium for a long time but that was when it was 10-20 cents gallon more. And for a long time has not ethanol infected fuel. Plus It’s now .50-1.00$ more expensive in many places so if it’s not required why spend the extra money.

I still use it when required but can’t justify/afford the just because it’s premium so it’s better myth.

So called Premium (higher octane) fuel has no advantage over Regular (lower octane) for an engine that does not require it. Typically, additive packages are pretty much the same so the only real difference is that it ignites less readily and is less likely to knock in a higher compression engine.

Around here, Premium fuel used to be ethanol-free whereas Regular contained 10% ethanol so it could be justified on that basis. This is no longer the case and there is zero advantage in running higher octane fuel on a normally tuned FJR engine. Higher octane gas is not better and the only thing you gain is a lighter wallet.

Edit to add: High octane fuel does not contain any more energy per gallon - far more difference in winter vs summer blends. Also, in many locations, they sell many times more regular than premium so you might find that the regular is fresher with less chance of contamination in the underground storage tanks - not likely an issue with most busy stations.

Last edited:
Bluetooth in the helmet will be better than having a radio. Cost, speed and cornering considerations all point to the FJR. You will not be sorry with the FJR.
Second this and add

Ability to answer phone call and when riding with others is an indispensable safety aid. Saved myself and others on multiple occasions.

Can’t go wrong with one of these options

https://amzn.to/41OM6Uc

https://amzn.to/45evFn2
I’ve even taken work conference calls with my comms.

Because I'm broke. And unless it needs it, I'd rather spend that extra 25% on riding more.

Second this and add

Ability to answer phone call and when riding with others is an indispensable safety aid. Saved myself and others on multiple occasions.

Can’t go wrong with one of these options

https://amzn.to/41OM6Uc

https://amzn.to/45evFn2
I’ve even taken work conference calls with my comms.
Absolutely. I use a packtalk bold. Having the guy in the front being able to warn us of stuff, it's definitely saved at least a few accidents from happening