Hi From The Tug Hill New York

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamminJohn

Reaction score
I'm looking in to buying an FJR in the future.

The three things that are in the way are seat height and highway pegs and crash bars.

I am 5' 7" with a 27" inseam. The seat is too high.

I like to be able to change positions whilst riding.

I will eventually drop the bike. I don't want to trash the fairing and bags.

I ride a Stratoliner and a Vulcan 2000LT. 

Thanks for any tips.

John,

T-Rex makes FJR crash bars, and maybe some European company.  Highway pegs are available to fit them, but I can't help there.

Most FJR owners will get an aftermarket seat anyway, because the stock FJR seat is not much joy.  Various makers: Russel Day Long, Laam, Sargent, Corbin, others.  Corbins are classically built low, but firm.  I have one, and it's good, but not great.  Some upholstery shops can do the deed for you, locally - all custom FJR seats start from the OEM bare seat pan.  Aftermarket seats can be custom-made to help with the inseam issue, of course.  The seat itself can be lowered, on most of the aftermarket seats.  The bike can be lowered a bit, also, but you will want to shorten the side-stand, with that option.  You may find a deal in the used FJR parts Classified ads, but do not expect to find a flawless custom fit, there.  Here is a list of items that may help:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1215889-post23.html

Thanks guys.  

So to compound matters it's top heavy ! Like my old V65 Sabre. I can't say that I like that fact.

My cruisers are heavy but not top heavy.  Hmmmmm.

That big tank can't help. On my Stratoliner there are two tanks to lower weight. One under the seat.

JJ

Thanks guys.  So to compound matters it's top heavy ! Like my old V65 Sabre. I can't say that I like that fact.  My cruisers are heavy but not top heavy.  Hmmmmm.  That big tank can't help. On my Stratoliner there are two tanks to lower weight. One under the seat.
JJ
John,

Yeah, I do not recommend a full gas tank until you get a good handle on it.  I was not that happy until I really got my feet down on the ground, not just toes-touching.  I'm still careful with a full tank, but the mileage is good (45+ mpg), so a half-full tank is okay by me in town.  All that goes away at riding speeds, and man, then this thing is magic on two wheels.  I've been riding a long time.  The FJR never fails to give me the grins.  YMMV.

The Suzuki Bandit 1250 is the other bike that interests me. 

Less expensive to buy and less expensive to drop. I haven't found out yet if it's worth fixing my Stratoliner.

When the Strat goes I'll be looking again.

JJ

I had a 2009 Bandit 1250. It is a nice bike and the main reason I got rid of it was to get more wind protection and cruise control. IMHO, the stock seat is horrible and the stock windscreen is too short for me, I am 6' tall. Both easy to fix and I will say the stock FJR is no better than the B1250. I had a Sargent seat, 22" Vstream windscreen, and Givi side cases. It was a very capable sport tourer.

Bandits do not hold value so used examples can be found cheap.

Checking in and wondering if you pulled the trigger on a different bike.

Also, I was wondering what the longest distance you've ever gone on the Stratoliner? 

Thanks, 

Padre

Latest posts