Hi

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome!

Have you had a chance to ride it yet or has winter been in the way?

I put over 180,000 miles (295,000 km) on my '07.  Still worked great when I sold it but I got a killer deal on a 2011.

Welcome!

Have you had a chance to ride it yet or has winter been in the way?

I put over 180,000 miles (295,000 km) on my '07.  Still worked great when I sold it but I got a killer deal on a 2011.
Put about 500 miles on it before winter hit over a few weeks, now im waiting for the thaw. Right now it's torn down because I have no idea if it was ever serviced so it's getting all the fluid changes.

Put about 500 miles on it before winter hit over a few weeks, now im waiting for the thaw. Right now it's torn down because I have no idea if it was ever serviced so it's getting all the fluid changes.
Sounds good.  How many miles on the bike?

No history on valve checks?  Or other major maintenance?

What about recalls?  There were three for 2007 - grounding harness, ignition switch and ECU.  You can check your VIN with Yamaha to see if the recalls were performed by a Yamaha shop.

Do you know if the cam chain tensioner has been replaced?

If you want recommendations on maintenance stuff, just ask...

Sounds good.  How many miles on the bike?

No history on valve checks?  Or other major maintenance?

What about recalls?  There were three for 2007 - grounding harness, ignition switch and ECU.  You can check your VIN with Yamaha to see if the recalls were performed by a Yamaha shop.

Do you know if the cam chain tensioner has been replaced?

If you want recommendations on maintenance stuff, just ask...
AFAIK, I dont think a valve check has been done. Many sets of tires and fork seals have been done. Bike has 28K miles. I'd have to check the VIN but I don't think the cam chain tensioner has been done either.

Yamaha changed the CCT design in 2007 - partway through.  The newer version has a blue dot or green dot on the side and should be replaced.  If you don't have maintenance history, plan to get that done along with a valve check sometime this year.  There is usually some warning before CCT failure (can of marbles sound on tight side of engine when running cold at idle), but a failure could mean destroying the engine.  It has happened to a few...

There was no recall on the CCT so there would be no Yamaha corporate record if it was changed.

AFAIK, I dont think a valve check has been done. Many sets of tires and fork seals have been done. Bike has 28K miles. I'd have to check the VIN but I don't think the cam chain tensioner has been done either.
Fork seals? Many? At only 28K miles? Someone wished they had a wheelie machine instead of the FJR. I could see 4 sets of tires for someone who used the OEM PSI (low) and/or thrashed it on aggressive surfaces.

Fork seals? Many? At only 28K miles? Someone wished they had a wheelie machine instead of the FJR. I could see 4 sets of tires for someone who used the OEM PSI (low) and/or thrashed it on aggressive surfaces.
More likely there was a bit of dirt between the tube and the seal lip causing some fluid to make its way through the seal.  Some shops look at that as an opportunity for a $300-400 service rather than 10 minutes with a SealMate.  I would expect to get three times that mileage out of fork seals although the bushings would be "done" well before then.

Welcome to the forum Nitrofish1.  Hope you get as much out of this lively and helpful community as I have over the last few years.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

More likely there was a bit of dirt between the tube and the seal lip causing some fluid to make its way through the seal.  Some shops look at that as an opportunity for a $300-400 service rather than 10 minutes with a SealMate.  I would expect to get three times that mileage out of fork seals although the bushings would be "done" well before then.
That’s just what the service history suggests, shouldn’t be happening as frequently under my watch, already owned a wheelie machine and the FJR is not for that

Yamaha changed the CCT design in 2007 - partway through.  The newer version has a blue dot or green dot on the side and should be replaced.  If you don't have maintenance history, plan to get that done along with a valve check sometime this year.  There is usually some warning before CCT failure (can of marbles sound on tight side of engine when running cold at idle), but a failure could mean destroying the engine.  It has happened to a few...

There was no recall on the CCT so there would be no Yamaha corporate record if it was changed.
No dot on my CCT, no noise coming from the cam chain either. I’ll have to double check the history and see if it was done.