Hill country FJR ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithq

Reaction score
Met a few fellow FJR riders who have yet to ride the Twisted Sisters down in the Hill Country, west of Bandera. Look here for more good info, but I think we should plan a ride soon. How does March look for some of you geezers! The attached pic was taken on 337, towards Vanderpool, also home to a very cool motorcycle museum.

Attachments

• 10-14-2017_998.JPG
    10-14-2017_998.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Well, I'm not a big group ride kind of guy, prefer going to the Pacific NW by myself. But I crashed my 3rd FJR in Oct '20 and looking for another one. And probably going to avoid the in-town riding anymore. So... this might just be something I should do. I'll try to remember. Meanwhile, anyone got a good deal on a '14-'15? I think that's what I'm looking for: unlimited cruise with 5 spd trans. So far had a 04, 06, and 08.

I am not either, speaking of riding in large groups. The 22 years of gatherings I organized around the Honda ST Owners Club (STOC) were not like Harley or Goldwing rides. Most folks would figure out who they wanted to ride with, usually based on where they wanted to ride and then go in groups of 3-5 riders. This part of Texas is some of the best roads in the state if not the US. Curvy, somewhat hilly and lots of those 15mph curve signs!

I'm possibly a go for this. I'm 3 hours away from Kerrville and they are decent roads.
Did the sisters last month and was surprisingly underwhelmed by them.
I had did them a few years ago and enjoyed it more... this time I only like 337.
But... if its an ONLY FJR group (meaning... no other bikes going), then that'd be fun.

I did them a few years ago. Been riding around the hill country for years as its oniy an hour away from me. I’d love to ride the big bend but its not as safe now with all the border mess.

I have held 'rides' or gatherings of mostly IBA members on various bikes (ST1300, FJR1300, etc.) out in Ft. Davis and in Alpine where one of the rides was of course, the river road down into Big Bend from Presidio. Great ride. Hadn't thought about it being more dangerous now, but I usually bring along my own personal, er, persuader in a saddle bag! Just in case.

Looking at March or early April in Bandera. Hopefully the Bunkhouse on Main is available, though it is small with only 5 rooms. The Best West down the street is well over $200 a night, exorbitant for such a small town, IMO. The River Oak Inn a little further down (and has lots of rooms) is also a good spot but doesn't have protected parking for bikes, like the Bunkhouse.

I remember a group sportbike campout out north of Leakey a couple decades ago that made for some great memories. We sure have the bikes for that kind of ride now! Life is passing by too fast as it is. Time to see some nice roads flying by instead. Now, if we had a wife or two willing to make the drive in 4 wheels? Ya, we could be camping in style with a hotel bill or two worth of free BBQ? But wait, that doesn't quite fit in with our president's treasonous border plans?

Hey dude, think you have the wrong forum for that type of conversation. This is about Yamaha FJRs, riding the Hill Country or even what kind of tires or oil we use. Seriously.