hill country lodging recs?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TejasFJR

Reaction score
I'll be headed down to the Hill Country next Friday and haven't made any arrangments yet. I usually stay in Bandera but think I'd like to stay closer to Kerrville this time around. Any suggestions?

I'll be headed down to the Hill Country next Friday and haven't made any arrangments yet. I usually stay in Bandera but think I'd like to stay closer to Kerrville this time around. Any suggestions?
I have stayed in the Comfort Inn and it was fine. As an alternative...you might consider staying in Leakey: Cabins

They are right on the frio and pretty reasonable. Also, it is closer to all the really great roads in the hill country IMO...the texas threes, FM674, SR55, US377, RR470, RR1050.

Regards,

Davy

I usually stay in Fredericksburg. Yah, it's a little further from the really famous roads, but I like the town better - it has nicer lodging, better food, and is walkable. For lodging I'll reserve a house if we have several people, otherwise a B&B. For the later I like B&B Cyclismo. Both houses and B&B are reserved through Gasthaus Schmidt. The B&B owner is an avid rider of bikes and motorcycles. It's comfortable, breakfast is great, and you can walk to dinner or the HEB. If the weather is nice I gravitate toward the biergarten at Altdorf. Good beverages and good food there.

I once stayed in Boerne at Ye Kendall Inn, which was a very nice place. Great rooms, nice bar and restaurant onsite. Breakfast at the bakery down the street. Boerne is way out of the way, but we were riding and scouting roads for a bicycle tour on that trip.

Enjoy!

- JimY

If you want to stay in the Kerrville area, the Y.O. Ranch Resort Hotel is an area favorite. Personally, I stay at the Koyote Ranch. It's very motorcycle friendly, being owned by motorcyclist. They have anything from camp sites, to cabins, to RV hook-up sites and a Bed and Breakfast. I'd stay at the B&B which is an old rock house built long ago and is really nice. It's the same price as the smaller cabins they have and you get breakfast! It's also right next to the pool and there is a garage you can usually sneak your bike into. I stay there for the quite and the scenery of that particular area.

If you want to stay out in the Leakey area, my personal favorite is the Frio Canyon Lodge. A really nice, quaint motel with a great court yard to relax in. There is also the Frio Pecan Farms which sits on the river if you like cabins. Nice place, but the people that took it over weren't that friendly last time I was there and therefore are off my list for the aforementioned Frio Canyon Lodge. If you want cabins there is another set on the river called River Haven Cabins that are nice and closer to town than those mentioned in another post here. There is also another motel that caters only to motorcyclist, the D'Rose Inn, if you stay there be sure and get one of the separate cabins and don't stay in the main motel building. Didn't care for it at all.

Thanks for the responses. Sunday night we're likely going to stay in Fredericksburg to make sure we get back early enough on Monday for my buddy to catch a late flight out. I was thinking something in Kerrville for the other nights but from the responses, I think I'm going to see if Koyote Ranch has space in their B&B first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses. Sunday night we're likely going to stay in Fredericksburg to make sure we get back early enough on Monday for my buddy to catch a late flight out. I was thinking something in Kerrville for the other nights but from the responses, I think I'm going to see if Koyote Ranch has space in their B&B first.
This happens to be a favorite place for many motorcyclists and it is right across from Cracker Barrel in Kerrville. It used to be Econolodge. We have stayed there many times with and without the motorcycles present. The YO Ranch Motel/Bar is next door across the street within walking distance as well.

https://www.bigtexasinn.com/

I've stayed at the YO Ranch a bunch of times, all good experiences.

Have heard good things about the Koyote Ranch, but have no personal experience.

Many of the restaurants in F'burg are closed on Sunday evenings, so you'll have to check around. The brewpub is open Sunday evenings. Good beer, but you have to stick to the basics for food. Burgers and such are fine, but don't order anything that requires too much culinary skill to prepare, e.g. fish. Have been disappointed by their kitchen a few times.

If you go to Kerrevelle stay at the Whitten Inn. Tell them you're in a bike club or rally and they give you a nice discount. Also have a bike wash and free clean rags[first come first serve, they go fast]. But my favorite "perk" is after you check in they ask if you want a complimentary beer or water!!! Yes please I'll have both. :D

Hunter House in Ingram is inexpensive and walking distance from the Ingram Social Club, local drinking establishment that you can stumble back to your room from should you be so inclined.

Hunter House also has a good breakfast. Just take 39 on west to great riding.

Ingram is just west of Kerrville, actually on the other side of the city limit sign.

Latest posts