Holeshot Fun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Holeshot Header + D&D Slip Ons = 0. The muffs are the same size pipe as the HS outlet. Where they slip right over the oe header, it's either expand the HS outlet, and shrink the D&D to fit in, or ???????????. This really blows chunks. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

So now I'm faced with a choice. The OE muffs might slip on minus the oe seals, maybe why the Permatex sealer is in the ad for Holeshots. I can slot the header so the D&D pipes will slip in. This of course means any problems are mine from here on in, which they probably are anyway. I can try and shrink the HS header outlet, and stretch the D&D pipe so the D&D's fit over. This really sucks.......... <_<

I would highly fucking suggest you do not consider this header if you have other than a Holeshot slip on. I will have to open up the header outlet to use the D&D, or now somehow shrink it for the OE. In other words, I'm royally fucked. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edit-this ain't a good fuckin time T

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to go buy some exhaust permatex to install my Holeshot cans. I guess that's the way he designs his stuff. I'd still give him a call before I modified anything. Maybe he has or can make a "union" that you can use rather than expanding the cans and shrinking the header.

The damn thing is, I can walk over to my oe header and slip the D&D pipe over it-perfect slip fit. The HS? A perfect pipe inside-outside diameter match. I mean PERFECT . So it's either OE muffs, which will go over sans seals, or his complete system. Not what I had hoped for, nor expected. I be smokin. Literally. First cig in 2 months. Cats have disappeared, wife went to Moms. Not a quiet day at the Radstead. I suppose I could get some cheesy Walker unions, let 'em get all nice and rusty. Or better yet, some flex pipe and coat hangers to hold the whole mess up. Perfect.

couldn't you just get 2 pieces of stainless exhaust pipe the inside diameter about 6" long and connect the pipes? You will have two band clamps on each side instead of one.

couldn't you just get 2 pieces of stainless exhaust pipe the inside diameter about 6" long and connect the pipes? You will have two band clamps on each side instead of one.
That might work but for the multiple curves just beyond the union. The bend begins right after the fit.

Sheesh. I was gonna say pop a Nicorette, but I'm too late. Oh, well.

Do you remember this from his first post...?

8. Have decided others can also buy the header onlyas well, and it will fit with any brand X slip-ons or even the original factory mufflers.
Maybe he has a transition gismo for 'brand X'...

Are there slots cut in the mid section of the D&D pipe where it mates to the header pipe?

Do you still have a gasket in place somewhere?

Are there slots cut in the mid section of the D&D pipe where it mates to the header pipe?
Yup, as it's designed to fit over the header outlet. The header has a short straight section at the outlet, then is welded to the collector pipe. This weld prevents any expansion to allow an inside fit. The D&D pipe, even with the slots, will in no way fit over the header-have made multiple attempts to figure a work around, to no avail.

All gaskets removed?

I have HS headers here, uninstalled, as I'm waiting on my PCIII. I've taken my HS slipon off of the right side and and trying to figure all this and help.

I seem to remember that the new HS headers were made from pipe that was one size larger in dia. than the stock ones, for increasing the mid range. Could it be that......? :huh:

The D&D uses no gasket. As stated earlier, they did, and still do, fit the oe header perfectly. A fraction of an inch smaller od on the header outlet, and I'd be finishing up my suspension work after all the Wilbers stuff. As it is, shit's all over the place. I'm pissed.

I seem to remember that the new HS headers were made from pipe that was one size larger in dia. than the stock ones, for increasing the mid range. Could it be that......? :huh:
The individual cylinder tubes, yes. The outlets were supposedly designed to accept stock muffs and all systems that fit as stock. Not the case it would seem.

That SUCKS, I would make a joke but I can tell your not in the mood. :(

The HoleShot is designed to fit in the stock cans (or Hole Shot cans?) with no gasket. If the D&D also uses no gasket you will need some kind of coupling.

What about taking the header to a muffler shop and letting them expand the flanges?

I know its a pain in the ass and you shouldn't have to do it and all, but they would probably be able to do it and if the worst happened, weld up any suprises.

Definately not what you want to hear after waiting for 3 years.

Rad, I have some good news...

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance!

Kidding! Kidding!

Is it possible the Yammi pipe is metric and Dale's is English? Well, that doesnt matter, you still have the same problem.

I am imagining that the D&D pipe end is smaller at its distal end than at its proximal. Can you measure it? If so, can you spread open the D&D end ever so slightly to change the interference fit into a clearance fit?

-BD