Holeshot Fun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know how many exhaust cans are out there? Plenty and for one company to deviate from diameter is easy for anyone to miss. Dale Walker, go to his site, is a 5 time world champion motorcycle drag racer and the manufacture of quality performance products for many many years. He is an upright guy by his willingness to take back the header or sell at a reduced price the Holeshot cans. What more can you ask?

Well now that you've got the whole low-down here's my thought. Since your inlet is the same size as his outlet, why not saw off approx 1.5" (approx the distance you'd expect yours to slip over his), get a sleeve made at a muffler shop that JUST fits over both, butt them up against each other and clamp the sleeve over both pieces. Does this seem do-able? Then you could keep your favorite D&Ds and still have your header too. Whaddaya think?

What it boils down to is that I did not want to alter anything to make them fit. Sometimes (actually, too damn often) what looks good on paper turns to shit when put to practice-any alteration to either the header or my muffs would have rendered them forever useless if the mod failed, and unsaleable at best. If this was some plain ol' piece of exhaust tubing I would have been hacking at it instantly-but it was almost a grands worth of tubing I would've been messing with. Not cool. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the HS Muffs in Wednesday, and after a little tweaking got the bastard left side together, the one that had been the subject of this thread. Because I had stretched the header out a bit in an effort to fit the D&D inside rather than outside (a plan doomed to failure and abandoned early thank god before permanent damage was done) the header outlet, it took a little stretching to make things work, but it's together and looking good. I noticed, in an apparent nod to the badging nazis, Dale etches his logo and such in the exhaust cap now rather than a large badge on the muffler body like most others do. This gives the muff a nice smooth appearance, not unlike a small version of an oe muff, but with a way larger gas exit. Looks like a system designed to move some air, be sure..... ;) :D

OK Rad, now that you got it all bolted together... can you takeee some pics so we can seeee it???? and another thing, some em good clear pics too.

ZZZzz :clap:

Yeah, for crying out loud, this thread is painful to read. Would a picture kill you, raddy?

Remember the ol' saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words..." Well, your keyboard and our eyes would be very thankful!!

Please please please post some nice crisp digital photos.

-BD

To heck with the pictures! Go take it for a test ride and let us know how much you like the feel and the sound. Then you can post pictures. :D I s'pose it'll have to be a long test ride to see if there is less heat from the Holeshot header vs. the original. ;)

I'm quite a ways away from riding it, still have stuff to do. Will take some pics Sat am. and post then.

I'm quite a ways away from riding it, still have stuff to do.
Geez, give the guy a break. Adding a front ski and properly studding the rear tire take time! It'll be at least another week 'til she's ready for the MN winter.

Go to the Holeshot website. Dale has posted quite a few nice pics with the header and holeshot slipons mounted on an '05.

Enjoy!

Go to the Holeshot website.  Dale has posted quite a few nice pics with the header and holeshot slipons mounted on an '05.
Enjoy!
Well now I'm pissed. Got the wife working on getting pics uploaded after I quick got the other side together and crawled over and around Frank to get some decent shots, only to have the site put up pretty ones just now. Fuckin eh......... <_<

Well, for what it's worth....... The logo-

IMG_0381.jpg

The bastard connection that made me ditch my D&D's. No seal any more...

IMG_0380.jpg

The Holeshot muffs have a very slim profile compared to many of thoses out there-especially those dual outlet ones. I like them small and light myself. The attention to detail on this system is amazing-an adhesive heat-proof insulated band is supplied for the inner surface of the muffler hangers-where my D&D's brackets scratched the hell out of the muffs, these are nicely buffered.

IMG_0379.jpg

No, thats not blood from my install attempt on the relay arm there-just M1 Red.

IMG_0378.jpg

Say what you will about the cost-thems some beautiful curves there don't ya think?

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Clearance is pretty tight-I may have to do a little tweakingon the right side-the pipe almost touches the centerstand bracket, and the oe exhaust center support bracket is part of the centerstand mount-no removal short of cutting it out. If I feel any new vibrations from down low I'll know whats causing it.

IMG_0375.jpg

Those sweet gentle curves =flow and flow = horsepressures.

IMG_0374.jpg

Geeeeeez RadMan.....Frank is dirty! Don't you wash it before putting it away for the winter?? What am I saying...... Mine is a dirty bitch also! Just without the mud in the tires! :)

Hehe......the mud is from the back yard store-a-thon while the snow was fallin' getting him into the walk-out. Just beat the first real snow, rode thru the new turf. SO was screamin, like Frank aint heard those words before.... :D

Hmmm, leftover parts and pieces on the floor... Careful on that first turn. ;)

You gonna humor us with an audio clip, big guy?

Rad, whats with that BLUE oil filter. Anything blue will be slower!!! :haha: Smitty

Hmmm, leftover parts and pieces on the floor...  Careful on that first turn. ;)
You gonna humor us with an audio clip, big guy?
You betcha-here ya go....

HS Audio
Wow! That's the first mezzo-soprano exhaust note I've ever heard! Wadaminute... I thought your bike's name was Frank... You musta clipped something off when you did the header operation. Best be calling her Francine, now...