Honda CTX1300: Anybody know much about this bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
I have two bikes. My other bike I bought new in 2000, a 2001 Honda Shadow 1100. Bike runs flawlessly, hydraulic valves never need adjusting. Has never failed me, looks like the day I bought it. Downside? Riding position ok for almost an hour and my back is killing me. And WAY underpowered. Plus at 16 years old, I wonder when carb/hoses/etc will start to give me problems. And a lot of places around here won't work on older bikes anymore.

So this Summer I started looking at alternative cheap options for a 2nd bike. I got pretty serious about the 1997-2003 Valkyries. Like the looks, unusual bike, plenty of power. But I'm still looking at a 15 year old bike, and now not MY 15 year old bike. I'll have no idea how it was stored or treated. Still an option though.

Yesterday I came across the Honda CTX1300. When they came out I was holy cow this is fugly. And $15,000 msrp? No way. But now I'm seeing 2014's with low miles for $8k. Has the ST1300 engine, although they detuned the heck out of it. But a Honda with a stud engine.

Anybody ridden one? Thoughts?

I've also looked at Road Stars and Royal Stars, but then again I'm looking at older bikes.

(Sidenote: I'm a big fella, so many of the nice budget bikes they have out there at the 650cc level I'm not interested in).

Just kicking tires. Need a second bike like I need another kid. But I have a hard time passing up a good deal. And the 2014 CTX1300 came in red.....

All I know is that the official Honda webpage ONLY has the 2014 model -- ie, no 2015 model. Not sure how to interpret that.

Uncle Hud: I don't think they sold well, especially if the MSRP was $15,999 (I was a thousand low before). Looks like they only sold it one year in the U.S (maybe anywhere). There are only 2014 models out there, used or new.

Niehart: Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. I found a review online and some guy in the comments was saying that he's ridden his whole life and it was the best bike he'd ever owned. I found one locally that I should be able to sit on. Read somewhere that may be cramped for tall guys. I'm tall so we'll see how it feels.

I can't think of any "mission" that I would want/need a cruiser for; even (or especially) if it is a bit sportier than most. (Maybe for bar-hopping, if I was into that) It doesn't do ANYTHING better than the FJR. Just me, but I can't imagine putting a lot of miles on a bike like that if I had an FJR in the stable.

Now a good dual sport, on the other hand...

Did you look at the reviews at a couple of sites i.e. cycle news for one states that "in CTX guise it produces a claimed 83 hp/62kW at 6000 rpm" and the old ST was at 125hp and this to move a 700# bike around.

Uncle Hud: I don't think they sold well, especially if the MSRP was $15,999 (I was a thousand low before). Looks like they only sold it one year in the U.S (maybe anywhere). There are only 2014 models out there, used or new.

Niehart: Thanks, that's the kind of thing I was looking for. I found a review online and some guy in the comments was saying that he's ridden his whole life and it was the best bike he'd ever owned. I found one locally that I should be able to sit on. Read somewhere that may be cramped for tall guys. I'm tall so we'll see how it feels.
Check out the DL1000 V-stroms, the adventure model, year olds, are going for 11,900ish it is a great deal. I bought a last years model for 11900 last year and love its torque to death. Take one for a test ride, it is a great economical bang for the buck.

I also looked at those bikes, primarily because they were selling brand new for less that $9,000

....off to the CTX1300 site I went to do some research........

I got the impression that there were issues and that heat and flimsy plastics were just starters. Enough issues that I decided against one.

Besides, FUGLY !

On a positive note, our (almost) local Big St. Charles Motorsports is listing 2015 FJR1300's for $9,999.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I first saw a CTX1300 and I wondered why? What market is it targeted for? It looked like a poor imitation of the Victory Vision, which I also do not like. If you want a cruiser, there are plenty of cruisers in that price range. The Vstar 950 tourer looks a lot better and MSRP is under $10k for a brand new 2016.

Last edited by a moderator: