Horn Relay?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I am getting ready to replace the whimpy stock horns on my 06 with some FIAMM Freeway Blasters.

I can't get the manual for the 06 yet (not available) and was hoping someone could tell me if this bike already has a horn relay or not.

If not, I will have to add one so I can get the current I need. Previous experience on the Concours proved that the stock horn button can't pass the needed current for a good set of horns.

So, anybody know if there is a horn relay on the FJR or not?

All previous model years the horn is sans relay, the horn button grounds the horns, power comes directly from the HORN fuse, the fuse is ignition switched (according to the schematic, I havta go push the button and see :lol: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred,

This topic has been covered extensively. Keep searching if you wish. The generally accepted technical solution is to add a relay for horns. However some folks will ague that they aren't needed. Ignore them.

Excellent advice and instruction at Warchilds site: www.fjrtech.com/farkles

My '05 didn't have a relay. I added one to power my Magnum Blaster horns.

FJRandy (on the board here) sells a nifty wiring harness to make the install go very smoothly. Highly recommended.

Just my $.02

Russ

I did this to my Concours back in the mid 90's and it made a HUGE improvement. Only difference, is my horns are FIAMM Freeway Blasters. The first set I bought was rated around 135db or so. However, on this latest set I bought (Pep Boys) there is no DB rating on them, but they look the same. I suspect they are identical to the Magnum Blasters, or very nearly the same. They say they are made in the US. They were $17.99 each.

I'll let you know how loud they are. The last set hurt my ears when I used em.

Well, I got the FIAMMS installed tonight with a relay. They work great and are really loud. However, I did run into one problem. The stud on the back of the FIAMM Freeway Blasters is not really long enough to mount them on the stock bracket. You can't get the washer on the back side and still get the nut to thread on. I managed to make it work, but I suspect the Magnum Blasters would be a better choice if you can find them, as it appears the stud on them is longer.