Hourly rates at dealer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
I've noticed that the dealer closest to me is charging $99 per hour for service. The other shop which isn't that much further away, I'll have to check pricing this week. Although some body panels and repairs will be covered by insurance, I'm not thrilled with that price looming in front of me.

Average shop charges that everyone sees? Thanks.

Rates can vary a great deal from region to region. It is a good idea to shop around at the dealers you can reasonably use to do the repairs. An hour on the phone can get you a bunch of information to help you make a decision and dicker. The BMW/Harley/Honda/Victory shop in Fairbanks was charging $100/hour in 2010; they charged less for locals in the winter. The BMW/Kawasaki/KTM shop in Missoula charges $100/hour now, but gives a 10% discount in the winter and to members of the local BMW club. Our local local Yamaha shop went tits-up three years ago and was charging $90/hour back then. Good luck.

Up here in Canuckistan, we commonly pay $120 / labour hour (probably about $85 - $90 / hr in 'Murican dollars).

Also common (though it pisses me off) is that some shops charge for "shop supplies" - which when pressed to describe them, you realize they are talking about things like a finger of grease, use of a wrag, a little cleaning solution in the ultrasonic tub.

I want to have a shop operate a business where I can trust the work they're doing for me, but being quasi-mechanical (and very electrical) in my own right, its hard sometimes not to wonder how much of what they charge is justifiable, and how much becomes pure profit...

Hey Pterodactyl - that Yamaha shop you described as going "tits up" - was that a place that used to be called Doug's Yamaha in Great Falls?

I noticed that one doesn't appear to there anymore.

Can you get whatever insurance will cover and do the work yourself? If you aren't up for the level of work that needs to be done, you can probably source parts cheaper than what a dealer quoted and hire some non-dealer talent for the repair work. Lots of good guys out there who are capable and usually cheaper.

I'd like to find good technical help for less than $100 an hour, but by the time I factor payroll, building, insurance, non-mechanic help (somebody has to do paperwork), etc., it just adds up and up and up.

Posted by Cyclepath: Hey Pterodactyl - that Yamaha shop you described as going "tits up" - was that a place that used to be called Doug's Yamaha in Great Falls?

I noticed that one doesn't appear to there anymore.

No, it was in Helena. Called Outdoor Motorsports I believe. Horrible place.

Here in Northern California, Joe at Redbike Service in Roseville CA is the only tech that I trust with my FJR for the deep services that I am not comfortable performing. Worth every penny of 95 per hour as far as I'm concerned.

What does your local car,dealer charge per hour?

Why should the motorcycle dealer charge less? Similar investment in building, equipment and tecnician training.

Isnt this an insurance job? If so, why do you care what the shop rate is? Just pay your deductible and the rest of it is on the insurance company.

Thats what I did when Bambi destroyed all of the front Tupperware on my 05. It was a comprehensive claim (hitting an animal is not considered a collision) so my deductible was only $250.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Yamaha shop is both reputable and convenient. Their service writer/Service Manager is of the highest integrity. Their chief mechanic I won't be happy with dating my daughter, but he is authorized by me to do whatever he feels is required to my bikes, he is that good and trusted that much. He also is a good rider (R6). Their shop rate is $98 hour.

I don't mind paying someone $100 per hour for their skill and talents. Just as long as when they use my services, they don't mind paying me $100 per hour for my skills and services.

Mine usually charge me a cold pack per hour and I almost always drink at least half of the pack before I leave.
punk.gif

I dont think hourly charges matter. What matters is whether or not they actually did the work right. The bottom line might matter a bit, but I gladly pay whatever they ask if Im confident of the quality of the technician.

El Toro posted: I dont think hourly charges matter. What matters is whether or not they actually did the work right. The bottom line might matter a bit, but I gladly pay whatever they ask if Im confident of the quality of the technician.
Ding, ding! But hourly rates vary widely from region to region, and with the technician's skill and experience. Can't expect a tech in Seattle to get paid the same as the guys at D&H in Cullman.

I don't mind paying someone $100 per hour for their skill and talents. Just as long as when they use my services, they don't mind paying me $100 per hour for my skills and services.
You are not paying the $100/hour for anyone's skills or talents. You are probably paying less than $30/hour for skills and talents, including benefits and payroll tax. The rest is divided up to pay part of the pay for other personnel, keeping the air compressor running,the toilets flushing, the heat or air conditioning going and the owner's boat payment.

You are not paying the $100/hour for anyone's skills or talents. You are probably paying less than $30/hour for skills and talents, including benefits and payroll tax. The rest is divided up to pay part of the pay for other personnel, keeping the air compressor running,the toilets flushing, the heat or air conditioning going and the owner's boat payment.
+1

Which is why I suggested trying a non-dealer. There are some really good independent guys out there who run their own small shop with vastly lower overheads. At the big shops, you may be paying that $100/hr for the knuckle dragger who takes twice as long to do a half-assed job. Paying the premium hurts a lot less if you can be sure that an efficient, knowledgeable and careful technician is doing the work.

This would be the reason I work on my own shit. No way I would pay somebody 500++ to do the valves on te FJR. Hell, they will break that much in tupperware just getting to the engine. Fortunately for me, I was in the powersport business for over 20 years in this town. The indie shop I get my aftermarket parts at charges me cost plus 10% and if I walk in with a wheel, they let me change my own tire. :) Back in the day, I gave the owner his 1st job in Spokane when he moved up here. Later on, I worked for him at another shop. The motorcycle industry in this town is pretty muched fucked if you're a mechanic. 20 bux an hour is the most you're gonna get, and the dealers know they can tell you to move to seattle if you want more money. So, mechanics move from one shop to another always trying to find a little more $$$ and a better fit. If you are lucky, you can get out of the industry and get a real job.

Pretty much goes for me too after forty seven years as a toolmaker/machinist in the UK and over here.

For what you need to know, and do a proper job, the pay takes the piss.