How a Battery Tender dramatically improves your odds

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure there isn't any power to the aux socket on the FJR with the key off. You would have to wire it directly to the battery, or leave the key on which would definetly take more juice than your making.

Im thinking of getting a small 150mA Solar Charger that plugs in to my Cigarette lighter port on my FJR.Im hoping it will work as a Battery Tender. It can fit in one of the side bags. Thats if I ever want to bring it along.

Has anyone used a Solar Charger on there motorcycle?
My understanding from the person I purchase 04FJR from is he installed the Cig-Lighter port & wired direct to Battery so it will power things like his Radar Det. I did not know an 04 FJR came stock with one? I gess I will have to go plug something in with out the Key and see? Ether way im sure a direct connection to battery wont be that hard to do if I need to. Since its right above the battery compartment.

Just wondering if anyone tried a Solar Charger yet?

Actually push starting it definitely would have worked. It would have made for a Kodak moment also with Michelle pushing me in her heeled pumps and mini skirt.

Now that's a vision in my head. Thanks

My understanding from the person I purchase 04FJR from is he installed the Cig-Lighter port & wired direct to Battery so it will power things like his Radar Det. I did not know an 04 FJR came stock with one? I gess I will have to go plug something in with out the Key and see? Ether way im sure a direct connection to battery wont be that hard to do if I need to. Since its right above the battery compartment.Just wondering if anyone tried a Solar Charger yet?
Nah, the 04 did not come stock with a power outlet of any sort. If you have a cig lighter on your '04 ( or 03 or 05) it was added. It may have been wired through a switched circuit or an un-switched circuit, so you won't know the answer to that until you try it.

Never leave the ignition on after comparing GPS notes.
That's why one should wire the GPS directly to the battery. :glare: The GPS by itself wouldn't kill the battery, but caring a charger is not a bad idea.
Thats the real irony of the whole thing, it is wired directly. And I have to disagree with you. I can tell you from experience that leaving the GPS on for hours at a time on anything less than a fresh battery will in fact kill it. I'll leave mine on for awhile while I grab a quick bite of lunch but thats it. Maybe results will vary per GPS manufacturer but I can't really see any reason they would.
OK......My Garmin has been on for at least 3hrs without any problem. I don't understand why you would leave the ignition key on, if the GPS is wired direct to the battery. :unsure:

That's why one should wire the GPS directly to the battery. :glare: The GPS by itself wouldn't kill the battery, but caring a charger is not a bad idea.
Thats the real irony of the whole thing, it is wired directly. And I have to disagree with you. I can tell you from experience that leaving the GPS on for hours at a time on anything less than a fresh battery will in fact kill it. I'll leave mine on for awhile while I grab a quick bite of lunch but thats it. Maybe results will vary per GPS manufacturer but I can't really see any reason they would.
OK......My Garmin has been on for at least 3hrs without any problem. I don't understand why you would leave the ignition key on, if the GPS is wired direct to the battery. :unsure:

2730 with XM. Starcom is switched. Ignition on to listen to music while fiddling with GPS. Why bother to leave the GPS on for 3 hours anyway unless you were in the middle of a rally? What does it take to acquire sat's all of 90 seconds?

2730 with XM. Starcom is switched. Ignition on to listen to music while fiddling with GPS. Why bother to leave the GPS on for 3 hours anyway unless you were in the middle of a rally? What does it take to acquire sat's all of 90 seconds?
Didn't mean to leave it on for 3hrs :rolleyes: just saying that it happen to me (senior moment). I got news for you....your GPS is NOT wired directly to your battery, if your ignition key has to be on. :clapping:

It would have made for a Kodak moment also with Michelle pushing me in her heeled pumps and mini skirt.

Axe,

If your not going to supply pictures please do not make comments like that...I've got to get some work done today :rolleyes:

My 2610 kills the battery if I leave it on at work, but the bike will probably start if I leave the GPS on overnight. Probably a difference in the brightness of the display, since it auto-dims at night.

Just wondering if anyone tried a Solar Charger yet?
I haven't specifically tried a solar charger, but it should work fine. Back when I wasn't a daily rider, my bike battery used to go dead after a couple weeks in the garage (stuff like alarm and clock constantly draw some current). I solved the problem by hooking up a standard 12 volt "brick" transformer with a 100ma output. I hard wired leads to my battery that ended up in a connector under the tail section. I just plugged my "poor mans" trickle charger in whenever I parked the bike for more than a day. Kept the battery charged without overcharging for many years. The solar charger would do the same thing, although it's output would be very limited inside my garage. :rolleyes:

Some solar chargers have suction cups that atach to say your garage window.

And if your on the road in need of it? You could just lay it on your seat or handlebars to keep it charge.

Just a idea?

If my memory serves me correctly, the battery tender requires a certain level of voltage before it will activate a charge. In other words, if the battery has been completely drained, it will not initiate charging. True?

Latest posts