How Do You Carry Your Laptop Pc?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geezer

Parsimonious Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I use my FJR to commute whenever possible. I carry a IBM THINKPAD 41T with me. I have been squeezing it into the saddle bag but I am not really comfortable doing this because it is a very tight fit and doesn't leave room for much padding or protection from vibrations and bumps.

If you use a center trunk for your PC please let me know which one it fits in. I don't really want to use a center trunk but if that is the only good solution I would probably go with a Givi.

I am thinking about a tank bag for this purpose. I could put a couple of inches of spongy stuff in the bottom to protect the PC. Not sure if a magnetic mounted bag would be good for this.... I have an Eclipse standard bag on my Maxim and it is not quite big enough for my PC. Anyone using a tank bag for a PC? Which one?

Thanks.

I gave up schlepping the laptop a couple of years ago. Too much hassle especially when flying. Motorola is about to come out with a new gee-wiz gizmo that is supposed to be da bomb when it comes to cell/pda/mini pc.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with the good old fashion paper address book, a couple of Dixie cups and a string...

Last edited by a moderator:
I commute regularly with an IBM T30. I have a backpack with a laptop compartment. Works like a charm. There are tons of these kinds of backpacks out there - the one I have is made by Timberland.

I have a Givi 46 liter case. My Thinkpad in its carry bag fits nicely in it. It also makes a good tailweight for wheelies.

I have a Givi 46 liter case. My Thinkpad in its carry bag fits nicely in it. It also makes a good tailweight for wheelies.
That's where I put my backpack for the meetings that are 100+ miles away.

I commute a fairly short distance to work with my laptop in the side case. I have a laptop with a 15.4" display and found a VERY lightly padded carrying case that will fit . Now I wouldn't plan to carry it this way for a 100 miles, but the 6 miles on surface streets seems to not be a problem. There is enough room in the case to carry the power adapter, spare USB drive and a couple of other necessary parts.

I have a laptop carrying case that I have used for years. On the SV650 I just bungee it to the pillion seat. The FJR it goes in the GIVI 460 tail trunk. I like the tail trunk option since it secures it if I have to run into a store or gas up while commuting.

I have carried my 12" Powerbook in a padded case for years, over thousands of miles and have never had a problem. Since I just traded a BMW GS with Jesse bags for the FJR I have been wondering about the same thing. The Jesse's were huge and could easily accommodate everything but the kitchen sink, plus they were top loading, which made it much simpler. For now I will probably try to use the side case. I have seen some people adapt a Pelican case for this purpose, mounting it on a luggage rack. The problem is, on the GS who cares what it looks like - but on the FJR, I find that looks are more important to me. I also have a backpack, which is fine for a run to the local coffeehouse, but if I am on a trip it simply would not do.

Shep

My laptop goes in my oversize briefcase and into a 46L GIVI. Once I take out the briefcase at work, my motorcycle jacket and helmet go in the GIVI in its place.

Ron

I use the GIVI 46 liter trunk to carry my laptop. My old one would only fit at an angle in the case, but I am now using a Compaq NC4010 and it fits just about anywhere. I use a soft sided briefcase since the padded case is too large - commute 22 miles to work (44 total) and have to visit several sites throughout the week. Have not yet shaken it to death.

I carry my Dell in a samsonite leather computer bag that is lightly padded. I carry it in the Yamaha touring trunk without any problems whatsoever -- I have ridden from Augusta, Ga to Louisville, Kentucky with no problems (around 560 miles) -- so my 20 mile commute to work is no problem. I would recommend that you shop for a bag that fits in the trunk -- I recently got a small laptop bag that has wheels to use when I travel thru the airports and thought that it would fit and it wouldn't because of the wheels. Good luck --- ride safe.

Mike

04 FJR

I see lots of votes for the Givi here. Personally, for my normal commute of about 3 miles, I use a bungee net and strap it down to the passenger seat. When I have to go to our DE office (about 60 miles away) I use the same method. Never had a problem with it coming loose or not working from hard bumps.

I am using the GIVI V46 top case with a soft sided laptop bag for my IBM T30. I place it in the case with the power supply and digital camera cords in the outer pocket and down to give some extra cushioning. I like having it locked up in case I want to make a stop at the store on the way back from work. I did loose a laptop off the back seat of another bike once when the bungee net slipped. The computer survived but I prefer a little extra security now.

As far as the tank bag, I would be extremely leery of putting electronics anywhere near the magnets that are used to hold on a bag. Maybe a strapped on bag but then you have the security issue if you run into a convenience store.

Givi V46 here, too. Fits backpack with laptop + stuff for work. When I get to work, the backback comes out, helmet/gloves go in. Great setup.

I ususally tie a 10 foot rope to the laptop, then tie the other end to the left passenger footpeg mount. After dragging the laptop in such fashion for about 30miles, I arrive at work with a perfect excuse to go home and go riding - my laptop doesn't work. :haha: And boy, you should see all the looks and thumbs-ups I get from my fellow commuters!

I have an IBM ThinkPad T41p also. I found a small soft briefcase style bag that fits perfectly in the side bag. It is well padded. It is made by Briggs&Riley. Best identifier I can find on it is Briggs&Riley travelware serial # 04-bbw8-0246683-3.

I have used a backpack in the past and found it hotter and did not like the extra bulk when riding with gear.

Good luck!

Agreed on backpack while riding. I find it a complete pain in the ass to get on over top of an armored jacket (gets caught up in the shoulder armor). That's why I put it in the top case, then I just swing it over a single shoulder or carry from the parking garage into the office. The Givi also fits the helmet very well. I find getting into the top case significantly easier than the side bags, just because you don't have to bend over as much.

Latest posts