How Do You Carry Your Laptop Pc?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have a fairly bulky leather PC case which I used to bungee on the pillion seat on my Maxim, but I was always reaching back to check if it was secure. I commute about 60 miles each way.

I thought about a backpack. Many of the youngsters at work use them for their PCs and I will see if I can scrounge one up to try.

rob_the-nailer - I will look around for the Briggs & Riley or something similar. Maybe I can find something to fit. My T41 is bigger than previous laptops and it has an oversize batter which sticks out the back about an inch.

Overall it looks like the best answer is the Givi 46. I will have to find one and try it on for fit before buying. I know Givi had a booth at Americade at Lake George, NY, which is not far from where I live, but I couldn't get up there that week.

Thanks all.

I have a Dell XPS Gen 2 laptop with a 17" screen.....big mother. I use the free backpack that came with it from Dell.....Works great on the bike and it has padded corners to protect the laptop when carrying it.

what, you mean some sort of hardcase specifically design for carrying a laptop on a motorcycle? Who on earth would make something like this.

Axio.

AX-SWIFT-CF_1.jpg

AX-SWIFT-EB_2.jpg

I took a busted up side case, butchered it, grafted on a laptop bag to the mounting brackets/mechanism and just hook it on like a regular side case. It, aint pretty, but it was the prototype and it works.

If you put it in a magnetized tank bag, you'll likely corrupt some of the data on the laptops (magnetic media) hard drive. FYI, we used to use big-ass electromagnets to degauss (erase) mag disks.

I don't like carrying backpacks on bikes. I don't want to think about that thing flopping around on my back if I go down.

I have a Dell Latitude CPx (fairly old now) that fit perfectly in the saddle bag. I use the liner to carry my it and my schoolbooks. Works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put it in a magnetized tank bag, you'll likely corrupt some of the data on the laptops (magnetic media) hard drive.  FYI, we used to use big-ass electromagnets to degauss (erase) mag disks.
The magnets and hard drives is a myth......If you have ever taken apart a hard drive and seen the super stong magnets they use inside the drive you will see what I mean. Floppy disks if anybody still uses them can be destroyed by magnets but hard drives, CD and thumb drives will not have a problem.

I measured the magnetic force on the magnets of my tank bags using a magnetometer I had for doing the same on tape recorder heads. My Held bag magnets are truly well shielded and didn't even move the needle on the magnetometer. I had a Road Gear bag that used unshielded magnets and it pegged the needle to the maximum on the scale. I told Road Gear about that, and the owner told me to buy the new one that had shielded magnets. The new one pegged the meter as well.

So, the threat of demagnetizing the hard drive depends on the type of tank bag. By the way, I agree with Vulcan about the hard drives. On the other hand, I have run a credit card across the Road Gear magnets (right after the credit card company had sent me my new one) and lost the data from the magnetic strip. I would not put my wallet in the Road Gear bag, but will in the Held.

Ron

Thanks for the info Ron, I've got the Roadgear tankbag and haven't had any problems with it, but having more information is always better. I guess I've just been lucky so far.

(Remember me, I was the one with my wife at the STN National assuming you are using the same name as on there)

Grady A. Dunham

Thanks for the info Ron, I've got the Roadgear tankbag and haven't had any problems with it, but having more information is always better. I guess I've just been lucky so far.
(Remember me, I was the one with my wife at the STN National assuming you are using the same name as on there)

Grady A. Dunham
Hi, Grady,

I'm that very same Ron.

Although the Road Gear erased my magnetic strip, it was under extreme conditions. I wiped the card several times directly over the top of the magnet from the inside of the bag.

Magnetic fields decrease rapidly with distance, so having a credit card inside a wallet on top of some other gear will likely keep it safe. But, I am very conservative about it, so I just don't take the chance with the Road Gear bag. Also, it is the map case, not a full-on tank bag.

Good to see you at the ST-N meet.

Ron

Good discussion.

My work-provided case will fit in the sidebag ONLY if the laptop is not in it. And it's a tight fit. So I've been putting the naked laptop in one side, the case in the other. Obviously that's by FAR a decent solution. Not to mention my daughter is taking an interest lately and I'd like to give her a backrest while riding -- almost all very short rides.

Sounds like the Givi V46 is the concensus on the way to go. It appears I'd need the case, mounting rack, stop light assembly, interior light, and backrest. Sound right?

So what's the best price for a Givi V46? Does the stock "metallic silver" lid make a decent match for the '03 v. the customized top? I've noticed most pics I've seen have ONLY the top case without the side bags -- I assume you don't want to put too much weight in the top case.

Thanks in advance!

The C46 I ordered, along with the mount and the wire 'thingie' that mounts to the top of the case, from RLMotorcycles.com. Prices were just as good as the large mail order houses, but personal attention & a friendly manner are included at no extra charge. I always try to buy from small business wherever possible.

Nice folks to deal with, flat rate shipping even if they have to ship & drop ship from multiple locations. Nice people. (have no financial interest, etc etc).

The Givi rack came in silver, looked like the '03 silver too. Too bad, as I had an '05. Sent the mount over to Bob McInnis, "Finishing First, Inc", located in Tigard, Oregon. Had them powder coat it matte black. Came back looking just perfect. I was not impressed by the stop light assembly for the Givi. Four naked little bulbs, mounted on a piece of printed circuit board, is what the stop light assembly is. I returned it. Future farkle: develop stop light assembly for the Givi case using bright LEDs...

I'm doing the Givi mount today, in prep for doing a ride next weekend.

Have you considered looking at your laptop through a telescope while holding it backwards. It becomes small enough to fit in your glovebox. Of course you must have the key on and be in neutral to get it open. :stupid: