How do you lift a bike for maintenance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beary

Reaction score
I'm sure the answer is somewhere, but I was wondering if I can use the lift I use for my Harley to do maintenance? If not, what do you use?

Thanks for you help.

Burt

Well we don't know how you lift your Harley so it's hard to say. I use one of two lift tables in my shop and I have an overhead crane.

I'm sure the answer is somewhere
What exactly did you search on when you tried? Help us help you find this any many more things answered many, many times. I found many posts by using lifting service site:fjrforum.com at Google.

I'm sure the answer is somewhere
What exactly did you search on when you tried? Help us help you find this any many more things answered many, many times. I found many posts by using lifting service site:fjrforum.com at Google.
That helped a lot and answered my question. Yes, I can use the same jack as I used for the Harley. Good to go, thanks.

I asked because my Gold Wing buddy needs special jacks for his bike.

Burt

I use the center stand and a floor jack with 1X4 across the headers to get the front end off the ground. One of these days I'll have a lift table...

No frame under the bike, use the HD style lift at your own risk!

--G

I roll my bike up on to two 2x6s. Then I put another under the centerstand and up she goes. A floor jack under the headers with a 1x6 as a cushion on the pipes and I have all the room I need. The extra inch and half makes all the difference changing tires, pulling the fork legs off, etc. Price is right too.

I roll my bike up on to two 2x6s. Then I put another under the centerstand and up she goes. A floor jack under the headers with a 1x6 as a cushion on the pipes and I have all the room I need. The extra inch and half makes all the difference changing tires, pulling the fork legs off, etc. Price is right too.
If you tie the center stand firmly to a highway peg, or other forward point, then you can remove the front wheel and drop the bike down onto blocks under the forks. That raises the back end quite high, and it remains stable.

The very poor clearance under the back of the Venture Royale made this a standard method for removing the rear wheel. A jack under the headers to lower the bike slowly helps a lot.

I use the Harbor Freight lift table. Work great and if you find it on sale it's a bargain.

Use a sawsall reciprocating saw.

Cut the Harley into easy to manage chunks that you can lift onto any work surface.

lol2.gif

I use the center stand and a floor jack with 1X4 across the headers to get the front end off the ground. One of these days I'll have a lift table...

--G
I'm new to the FJR too. Are the headers strong enough to lift the front wheel off the ground? Should I jack it up from under the engine?

--G
I'm new to the FJR too. Are the headers strong enough to lift the front wheel off the ground? Should I jack it up from under the engine?
While on the centerstand, putting a sizzor jack inder the header(I also us a short 2x4 inbetween)works great. It won't hurt the header..

Don't think you could reach the engine with the header right there anyway...

Your welcome Mike,

I used the header as a lifting point on my old 04 for about 8 years. I use the same method on my current bike under the header as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a nylon web strap between the frame and engine. That gap above the foot brake lever just behind the crank and up to a chain-fall. Then crank away. I'm lucky enough to have an I-beam in my garage.