How do you remove the fairing below the seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potential

Reaction score
I don't have the service manual yet (ordered it a while ago though) but I can't figure out how to remove the side fairing just below the seat. I have the seats removed, and the cover behind the tank (I'm doing the 600-mile service as well). I undid three quick-fasteners and two hex bolts for the right-side fairing but it still does not come out -- I can see there's some sort of bolt on the bottom, surrounded by rubber, but I have no idea where the head of this bolt is or how to access it. I haven't tried the left-side fairing yet but I'll have to remove it as well. EDIT: OK I just tried the left fairing and can't remove it either. For it I removed three quick-disconnects, one hex bolt, and another hex bolt that has a washer around it. Still won't move.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the service manual yet (ordered it a while ago though) but I can't figure out how to remove the side fairing just below the seat. I have the seats removed, and the cover behind the tank (I'm doing the 600-mile service as well). I undid three quick-fasteners and two hex bolts for the right-side fairing but it still does not come out -- I can see there's some sort of bolt on the bottom, surrounded by rubber, but I have no idea where the head of this bolt is or how to access it. I haven't tried the left-side fairing yet but I'll have to remove it as well.
Doing this from memory: there is one quick fastener up by the tank, one on the rear of the panel on the top, and one one the rear of the panel underneath (you can't see that one without getting underneath the bike). The last thing holding on the panel is probably what you are describing as the bolt surrounded by rubber - it's at the bottom front of the panel. This is a snap fit, pull the panel out and off she comes.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know -- that it was just a snap fit. I just removed them without a problem and put them back on, also without problems.