How do you transport your riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Michelle and I are planning an overseas trip and are interested in hearing how others handle packing and transporting your riding gear, helmets, etc....I've only had to fly to California once with riding gear and that was prior to 9/11 so I didn't really have to think about things like taking wired heated jackets in a carryon or worrying about the number of helmet bags I put into an overhead. I'm not sure that in today's world I would comfortably bring my Gerbings in a carry on bag. On that trip I had the luxury of meeting up with friends who were driving a cage so overpacking was an option also. I don't want to overpack on this trip since we will be traveling exclusively by bike. I was thinking to maybe FEDEX items to a starting point but that seems like it might be a logistical nightmare also and would probably cost me as much as buying all new gear once I got there. Hearing what other people do is always a huge help....Nothing like a little preplanning to make things run smoothly.

I was thinking to maybe FEDEX items to a starting point but that seems like it might be a logistical nightmare <snip>
If you have a good address and the time, that's a great way. I used to do overseas TDY's when I was active duty and sent things home all the time that way; wasn't really all that expensive if you take the "slow boat". It gets expensive if you're trying to speed the shipment up.

That way, you could send most of your stuff to a good address, then all you have to take is a carry on for the plane; lots easier!

Michelle and I are planning an overseas trip and are interested in hearing how others handle packing and transporting your riding gear, helmets, etc....I've only had to fly to California once with riding gear and that was prior to 9/11 so I didn't really have to think about things like taking wired heated jackets in a carryon or worrying about the number of helmet bags I put into an overhead. I'm not sure that in today's world I would comfortably bring my Gerbings in a carry on bag. On that trip I had the luxury of meeting up with friends who were driving a cage so overpacking was an option also. I don't want to overpack on this trip since we will be traveling exclusively by bike. I was thinking to maybe FEDEX items to a starting point but that seems like it might be a logistical nightmare also and would probably cost me as much as buying all new gear once I got there. Hearing what other people do is always a huge help....Nothing like a little preplanning to make things run smoothly.
What's the destination? Overseas is a pretty big place...

My address would be good for shipping anything you'd like if you decide to do that; could store it til you arrive. :clapping:

I flew to Switerland 2 1/2 years ago for a two week ride. Everything I needed fit in 2 suitcases for the flight. I stored the suitcases at the motel I stayed for the beginning and end of the ride. Loaded everything I needed in the K1200GT saddle bags and my tank bag for the 2 wks. It had a topbox, but I left that at the rental shop.

Chris where are you going ?That would be a good starting point.....

R
We are planning a trip in the alps, more than likely flying into Stuttgart or Munich or possibly into Milan. The length of the trip would be about 10 days total. I thought one option might be to buy some new gear there (you can never have enough motorcycle stuff) and then either ship it back or haul it back in another suitcase. JR's idea of storing the suitcases at a beginning/end hotel is a good one also. It just seems like an awful lot of checked baggage. If I was riding alone it wouldn't be much of a problem but I'll be riding with a woman that has a shoe fetish. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought one option might be to buy some new gear there (you can never have enough motorcycle stuff) and then either ship it back or haul it back in another suitcase. <snip>
I think this would be WAY more expensive than getting some good gear here and shipping it over/back. Several things from my experiences there:

>dollar is weak compared to Euro so likewise goods are higher also

>no real "discount" places there like in the US

>even here, mail order is usually where you get the best deals, like newenough, motorcyclecloseouts, motorcyclesuperstore, etc, lots of sales to get in on and purchase the things you want/need before the trip.

>overall, IME, YMMV, things are friggin' expensive over there!

Just my opinion