How does the middle drive gear --

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shokdimn

Reaction score
Just took a look at the middle drive gear drawing on the parts and accessory site and was wondering if some of the knowledgeable forum folks would shed a little light on the subject of middle drive gear ratio (being optimized) and its contribution to ride comfort at lower rpm? :questionmark: Reading the note on the Canadian Yamaha site under features for the FJR about “Optimized middle drive gear ratio” is what got me to thinking about this. :search:

Maybe I should ask what would be some specific attributes of optimizing the ratio?

Thanks

I've checked a couple of sources but I haven't done an exhaustive net search yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply MUST learn to speak and interpret "sales-speak". The engineers probably mentioned that they could easily change the end drive ratio easier by modifying the ratio in the middle drive, rather than the ring/pinion assembly in the final drive, to lower the "touring" rpms and the sales department then had to translate it into a language nobody can understand while making it appear "dynamic". Attempting to please those who think the "cruising" rpms are too high is translated as lowering the "optimal RPM range" for rider comfort.

IOW, absolutely meaningless drivel to most people yet retaining an "air" of informative advertising thus justifying the outrageous salary of the sales brochure writers.

Easy, huh?!?!? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha's internal publication -- FJR1300 Guide -- prattles on:

The middle drive features mechanical cam dampers in its drive pinion, which makes for smoother transmission of power to the rear wheel. The dampers absorb shock due to rapid changes in torque.

During assembly the pinion backlash is adjusted with shims (similar to the V-Max).

Middle driven gear/Middle drive gear....35/36

Driven pinion/Drive pinion.....................21/27

Secondary gear ratio............................35/36 x 21/27 x 33/9 = 2.772

(This is true for Gen Is; Gen IIs have different ratios.)

You simply MUST learn to speak and interpret "sales-speak".
IOW, absolutely meaningless drivel to most people yet retaining an "air" of informative advertising thus justifying the outrageous salary of the sales brochure writers.

Easy, huh?!?!? :rolleyes:
Got it! I now consider myself educated. :graduated:

I knew that.
Guess I was a little slow on the uptake. :huh: