How Far on Reserve

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually don't dick around with getting gas and have never gone past 20 miles once that booger starts counting [SIZE=12pt]UP[/SIZE].

Fixed it for ya. You're welcome.
Actually, if you quickly swerve side to side a couple of times it will get some more gas in the pump and you should be able to get another 5 miles or so. I've done this several times. But, I've also tried it out many times with the handy fuel cell at the ready to know exactly how far it will go. I know many people have said that's it's SO BAD for the fuel pump and you may have to start looking for a new one if you ever do this. I know with my last R1 I ran it until it sputtered every time and then switched over to the reserve tank, so figure over a hundred times in 50,000 miles until someone stole the bike.

Grady A. Dunham

When the countdown starts I reset the average fuel mileage. Then I multiply the average MPG by 1.5, subtract 10 miles (to be safe) and make sure I fuel up before then. Never had a problem (yet). Most I put in was 6.4 and had gone 48 miles on reserve.

When the countdown starts I reset the average fuel mileage. Then I multiply the average MPG by 1.5, subtract 10 miles (to be safe) and make sure I fuel up before then. Never had a problem (yet). Most I put in was 6.4 and had gone 48 miles on reserve.
Doesn't it count up when you get into the reserve? Seems kinda dumb to me 'cause it would be easy to do ROBSMST's calculation for you and then count down.

7X

It does count up instead of down. Maybe they figured it was CYA as that way no one can complain it ran out before the miles left read 0. On my car I've gone 30 miles after the miles left reaches 0.

When Yamaha switches it it and use my calculation I am sure that I will not receive any credit for the breakthrough in my calculations.

I usually go to about 40 and it's perfectly fine. One day I was going to fill up on the way TO work instead of home FROM, so I went all the way home and flipped 50. It went home just fine but would not restart in the morning. Had to use the 1/2 gal I had in the lawnmower can to get to the station!

This info is great, 'cause I don't go far on reserve without getting fuel. But now I have a better idea if I

ever get caught farther from a station than I wish to be.

Maybe of interest for people with or thinking of an FZ6 for their partner? My SOs FZ6 uses about 4/10ths

of a gallon less than my FJR per fill when travelling together. The FZ6's range is close but not as far as the FJR.

so i got into the office this afternoon and the bar just started blinking. ride home tonight is about 43 miles. its cold so the windscreen will be full up. do we think i can make it?? :dntknw:

I think you can, but you might wanna stay out of the throttle a little bit.*

*This post is intended as guidance based on personal experience. Fuel quality, air temperature, weather conditions, road surfaces and conditions, riding style, and various other variables can dramatically alter fuel consumption rates. The reader assumes all responsibility for making it home safely without pushing the bike or thumbing a ride. The author of this post is not responsible for any problems encountered by the reader.

What you need to know is how much fuel is left when you get to the reserve. Based upon my calculations I hit reserve right about 5.2 gallons. If I have gone 200 miles at that time or 240 miles I know that I have used about 5.2 gals. and have about 1.4 left but use 1 gal to be safe. I calculate the mpg at that time I hit reserve based upon 5 gals used to be conservative.

My mileage has ranged from 35 mpg to 51 mpg in CO with 41.8 being my overall average. I just filled up in MS on a trip day before yesterday while on I-20 and stations are far between on that road. I put in 6.426 gallons. Had there not have been a station at that exit I would have been dead.

Chester

This just HAS to be shared...

I once used the 05 as a tanker. Buddy called me on the cell and said "Hey, if you are near Kinston today, pick me up some race gas." "No problem!" I said. "You don't mind if it has a tiny bit of 93 in it do you?".

Yep, that's right. I ran the 05 all day without filling up and managed to time it just right. Arrived at the race gas station with 56 miles showing on the F-trip. Filled up with race gas (which at that time was about $5/gallon) and had a large time on the way home.

We siphoned that liquid gold right out of the tank like two NC moonshiners toting a hidden load. 2-point-something miles later she coughed as I rolled into the nearest service station and went back to 93. Thought about getting one of those "This Vehicle Stops At Railroad Crossings" bumper stickers for the 07 and trying it again sometime, just for yucks.

:)

Never been past 40-something on the 07 (yet). It trips pretty darn consistently at 1.3 gallons and I average 38 mpg. As much trouble as I sometimes have backing up that hefty girl, I ain't about to push her any distance or even think about scoring any injectors.