How far would you ride to grab lunch round trip?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks,
I was wondering where? And for what?
I've been to moonshine store for a cheesburger in Illinois. Fast Eddie's down in Alton mostly for heartburn. Where's yours?

Attachments

• 20200808_121006.jpg
    20200808_121006.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I live in Rochester, MN. I have ridden to Wausau, WI, to have lunch with my brother and his son. If you take the most direct route, it's about a 400 mile round trip. I chose to ride a more "scenic" route, consisting almost entirely of county roads, with very few, if any, state highways involved. The trips end up being around 430-ish miles. sometimes a little more. The pace is "refreshing". (Don't tell my mom).

Current top mileage for lunch is around 225 one way. Willing to go further for the right meal, friends, or reason. Rode from PA to GA 2 weeks ago for a celebration of life, roughly 750 miles each way.

Like many others who ride an FJR, I have ridden many, many miles to meet with other FJR riders for a meal. I suppose the only limit was how much time I had and who else was there. It was always a round trip because I always ended up back home eventually.

Since you mention lunch, I would think you are asking about getting there and back in the same day, That limits it to about 300 miles each way in order to allow time to enjoy a leisurely lunch with a friend.

Well, let’s do the math...
“Lunch” is usually consumed between 12 noon and 1 pm. If you leave at sunrise (about 6 am here) that gives you 6-7 hours to arrive at your destination. If it’s mostly highway, you can average 70-75 mph (if lucky) so that’s 75 X 6.5, or about 490 miles, 980 round trip.
I doubt I would travel that far unless I was meeting up with a group, and you’d figure if the meeting was of more importance than the food itself, you’d likely find a spot that was a halfway point for most of the riders. 😉

Now personally how far would I go for a meal?
Well the only place that I can think of that I’d travel there just for the food is Franklin’s BBQ in Austin TX, which would be 790 miles one way.....I’ve read and heard so much about the place I figure at some point I just gotta try it 👍

Last edited:
The farthest for lunch, same day round trip is just under 600 miles. But only one time. Once or twice per year I'll do right at 500 miles same day round trip. Most of the time it's 330-400 miles.

Went a couple of Saturdays ago to Sulphur, OK for a hamburger with friends. 684 miles round trip. And it was hotter than Hell on the way home. Now that summer is officially here I can't wait for the warmer weather.

Quincy Ca. about 115 mile one way that usually takes 6 hours up there and back with multiple choices of Northern California's awesome twisty mountain roads.

It's not always how far but how good are the route(s).

I don’t ride in the dark. So sunrise is the earliest start time. Too many deer here to consider heading out before then... 😉

We all do what we need to do. I drove back from Gerlach before cataract surgery... including nights and really poor weather. It was a knuckle-whitener.

@Trapshooter341 - Welcome to the forum. Please take a minute to add your location to your profile. It gives context to your posts and helps others both understand and better reply to your posts.

Longest the same day? Late lunch, about 800 miles to Round Rock, TX for peach pie. But for event RTEs, like many here, a lot farther. Middlegate Station in NV... from Bar Harbor, ME... on a 150cc scooter in three days. I was really, really looking forward to that cheeseburger! ;):p

I can definitely get that idea in my head. Best of all if your riding with some great people makes the ride more enjoyable, the miles seem to melt away.