How hard do you run your FJR, and how often?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyjohn72

Reaction score
Was always wondering since it is a sport touring bike, how often do you take your FJ to 6, 7, 8k RPM's? How often do you run it pretty hard? I suppose everyone's definition of running a bike hard is different but just a general question.

It's not unusual to rev the bike to 6 or 7 grand (or more) through a few gears, especially when entering a freeway where you need to match your speed to other traffic before merging. Doesn't take much. Beyond that and you're exceeding 100 in a matter of seconds, and I value my license too much to do that very often.

I have ran both my fjrs hard. That being said I dont do stupid stuff. No burnouts or big wheelies. I do race my against other bikes almost every thursday night during riding season. I keep it maintained and detailed. Never had a concern one. Its got a rev limiter and I have hit it before racing. Dont worry about riding like it was designed to be ridden.

ed

............and..............here.....................we...............................go.

Ask questions?...............you should know...........like a learned memory.

If your not red lining it at least once a week your not riding it correctly. I drive sport on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The rest of the week I tour.

Yeh, That's it, and it only Tuesday,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
7-9k rpm? Almost every time I ride my FJR. I have on over size windshield which increases wind resistance, the faster I go, the greater the engine load. I ride 2-up except for the days when I commute to work, so on any trips my FJR is carrying nearly its maximum weight capacity. I run my FJR at New England Dragway. While I don't abuse my FJR I do use almost all the factory installed torque and HP every time I go out, both 2-up and solo. The only real abuse my FJR has seen was at zero mph, in my garage, starting the engine when the CCT let the timing chain skip a tooth or few on the crank sprocket. I can't tell if any of this has effected my FJR's life expectancy, I only have 110k miles on it so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was always wondering since it is a sport touring bike, how often do you take your FJ to 6, 7, 8k RPM's? How often do you run it pretty hard? I suppose everyone's definition of running a bike hard is different but just a general question.
I'm too scared to look at the gauges when I'm riding, but that darn rev limiter hits me at the worst times every ride
grin.gif

What we should really ask is:

"Is there any correlation between those who regularly run their bikes above (say) 7K and those who find they need to adjust their valve clearances?".

Latest posts